Ubuntu 8.04 server vsftpd and user permissions

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've installed ubuntu 8.04 server edition and kept just the command line interface. I simply want to transfer files from another computer to the /var/www/ folder.

When I set ubuntu up I created a user called cruser and gave him a password, but it never gave me the option to add a password for my root user.

1. how do I setup a password for the root user - know it's not recommended but I may just start only using the superuser cause I'm tired of this permissions crap. If I can get #2 and #3 working then I'll stick with the created user.
2. how do i set permissions on the /var/www/ folder so the created user 'cruser' can transfer files or how do I set it to allow the user 'cruser' to be recognized to transfer to the www/ folder
3. how do i set vsftpd to when user 'cruser' logs in that he starts in the /var/www/ and not the home/cruser/ folder

Just some little things that I've found in documentation but I'm missing something. Thanks for any help.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Open the terminal and type:
sudo passwd root
When you see the prompt that says "Enter new UNIX password", enter the password you want for the root user and confirm it.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any command to allow my created user write access to the var/www folder. I can navigate all the directories, but can only write to my home/cruser/ folder.

I've gone through a couple of ubuntu docs and they didn't work. Basically, creating a new group and chmod the folder.

I hate it when that happends cause now I feel the configuration is all out of whack on something that should have worked.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is all permissions. I got it working the way I need it.

I changed the chmod for the www/ folder and then set the user as owner using chown for the www/ folder.

sudo chmod 775 /var/www/
sudo chown cruser -R /var/www/

I got my root pass changed too. So, thnx for your help on that.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts