ubuntu

• EvilSecurity
  • EvilSecurity
  • Loc: Texas.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just got a new copy of the ubuntu linux for the AMD64/EM64T processors, anybody tried it? worth the install, though does come with the liveCD.
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I heard it's really good for linux beginners, I've never personally tried it though.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

We've got it here, and it is easy for linux beginners, my only problem is too many of my programs need Windows to run, otherwise I would convert completely. I'd love to be rid of Windows completely!!!
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a pretty good distro. It's what I'm using right now after switching from Gentoo.

Pretty much the only reason I switched from Gentoo it takes too long to install patches/upgrade packages.

Ubuntu is great as a desktop distro because it supports both Gnome and KDE (kubuntu). And has a pretty good community. The packages are also pretty much up to date.

One of the problems I've found is switching to another WM, and just cutting down on the desktop stuff. I personally like Blackbox and Enlightenment, however there's no existing guide that teaches you how to change. I just sorta messed around :D

If your just planning on using it as a desktop I'd suggest that you give it a try. It's not too hard to modify, but again you'll need some know how in regards to Linux.

If your looking for a beginner's distro the more mainstream ones like SuSe and Mandriva might be better because of their graphical installers. Although the Ubuntu installer was pretty good it might be a bit intimidating.

Good luck.
  • intel17
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • intel17

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea I just installed Ubuntu just now, Its quite good, Nice for newbs like me anything is better than Windows!

Just I cant convert from WIndows because all my fance HArdware will go to wast and I cant play any games :(

lol, yea Ubuntus good fun
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

i converted completely for a year. its very possible to game on linux. its just too bad most commercial games arent for linux. i strongly recommend you check out the open source games though. most of them are cross platform and are quite entertaining. back to the ubuntu stuff yep its great since it is based off debian. though i must say even though gentoo does take long to compile everything and upgrade and what not its still awsome and very worth the wait. i find it quite easy to use for some reason. very flexible too.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

i tried installing gentoo once. after a day & .5 of configuring and compiling, it was time to write the boot loader. so i wrote it, tried saving it and rebooting, and it didn't work. so i tried changing a few things, tried for about 2 hours and didn't work. so i tried booting to windows and the partition it was on had been corrupted during the installation. i didn't have anything backed up :] ever since i've hated gentoo..lol

i like fedora core 4 :] i have the ubuntu disks both for i386 & x86_64 i just haven't gotten around to installing it yet.. however i did install it once before i had my athlon 64 and it had a nice feel to it.
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah took me awhile before i finaly got gentoo up and running for the first time but i am now enjoying the fruits of my labor. im posting this from a gentoo box :D i highly recommend you give it another shot. i like it anyway.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm...i do have two computers now (i got a $10 pc off ebay ^_^ 450MHz P3, 256MB ram, 6GB hdd *shrug* complete pc) so then while gentoo is compiling i wont have to use one of my parents pc's...so i may. do you have a screeny from gentoo?
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
hmm...i do have two computers now (i got a $10 pc off ebay ^_^ 450MHz P3, 256MB ram, 6GB hdd *shrug* complete pc) so then while gentoo is compiling i wont have to use one of my parents pc's...so i may. do you have a screeny from gentoo?

good find on the $10 pc. 8)

for gentoo screenshots, try http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/shots.xml

but it really depends on what graphical desktop system you use (some popular ones are kde, gnome, fluxbox, etc.)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
good find on the $10 pc. 8)
thanks ^_^ i thought so too. s&h was $30 but it was coming to MI from washington state, lol thats not a short distance to ship a pc. + i didn't have to build anything / buy any other parts & it plays Counter-Strike ^_^ hahah

but you forgot Xfce :}
i use gnome, kde & xfce...just depends on my mood and what i want to do. lol
screenys look nice though. hahah...so would it be fun to do a triple boot system? or should i get another cheap hdd? or should i kill fedora..? (i dont really have anything crucial in fedora so i consider it a viable option, lol)
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah i use xfce. very nice indeed. as for a triboot system. go for it its quite fun making one. i have one running OS X, debian and xp, i used to have vista but yeah vista didnt work well with my audigy card. and after installing and thoroughly using gentoo im gonna replace debian with it. just a warning though. after you install Gentoo. your going to want to emerge gnome and that is going to take a long time. took me over a day to finish downling 200+ files and compiling them. good luck.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm switching my lappy to Ubuntu this weekend and using VMWare to run a windows virtual machine for the programs that require MS to run.

My partner has done it on his machine and it works excellent - I am looking forward to being free of Windows for the majority of my computer time *yay*
  • VictorN
  • VictorN
  • Loc: Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ubuntu uses GNOME (no KDE) and if you want to install a program it will take from the internet very many dependences so that your program to work.
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

VictorN wrote:
Ubuntu uses GNOME (no KDE) and if you want to install a program it will take from the internet very many dependences so that your program to work.

dependences don't really matter if you use yumex, or apt or something, since it will get them all for you when you go to install a program.
  • fRX
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just installed Ubuntu in my system last 2 month...and now working smoothly (one of the best distro so far that suits me for simplicity and stability)....I have a dual boot system......here....GRUB works fine with me? And planning to make it a tribooter.....[xp/ubuntu/fedora or xandros] have u guys tried this one...Does it have any issues regarding on the boot loaders?
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

id say grub should work just fine. then again ive never used fedora or xandros (havent even heard of xandros before) but i seriously doubt it would have any issues.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts