Ubuntu on Toshiba Laptop

• hoangxom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi friends,

I have installed ubuntu on my toshiba satellite A 105-S4014 on a dual boot with windows media center. I think ubuntu does not recognize all the hardwares of my laptop. Display is ok, sound is ok, but I can't connect to either wired nor wireless internet connection. How can I check in ubuntu if my hardwares a recognize or not? To be able to connect to the internet, do I have to configure something else? Is ubuntu the right distro for my laptop?

I new with this, please help me.

Thanks for your time.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't use Ubuntu but I always used the dmesg command on my FreeBSD box to see what hardware was recognized.
dmesg | more
Pipe it to more because it's probably more than one page.
Then I use the dhclient command to get an IP address for the NIC. My NIC is fxp0, so the command is
dhclient fxp0
That should give the NIC an IP address.
You can check it by pinging an external server or by the ifconfig -u command. That will tell you what interfaces are up and running.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

lspci will also tell you which of those devices its detecting. sounds like you're going to have to tell it what your NIC is and setting up wireless cards in linux can be a pain. although, sometimes they just work so it kind of depends..
  • alias8700
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • alias8700

Post 3+ Months Ago

Theres a bunch of good wireless threads on the ubuntu forum. If you can't find a solution there please post the output of lspci here

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts