Unable to boot Redhat Linux 9 Disks

• csalisbury
  • Loc: Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am unable to boot the Redhat Linux 9 disks. I downloaded the iso's and extracted them using Winrar. Then I burned them to a cd using Windows XP. Then I tried it nothing happened. Then I read that they needed to be burned using Easy CD creator, which I thought was a load of hooey since XP's burning capabilities is based on the Roxio engine. Anyways I got Easy CD Creator :wink: and burned the images again on different disks. Same results. They will not boot at all. I currently have a dual boot system with XP and Redhat 7. Any help would be great. Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm assuming that you have your computer set to boot from the cd-rom before it boots from the hard drive.

Did you get a .sfv file with the iso's to check to make sure that they were complete and not corrupt? If you've tried burning it twice, you probably got a bad download. I would try downloading it again and maybe from a different mirror.
  • csalisbury

Post 3+ Months Ago

There was no .sfv file I downloaded them from a mirror site from Redhat it was one of the .gov sites
  • csalisbury

Post 3+ Months Ago

What does that .sfv file do?
  • ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

An .sfv file is a file that checks to make sure that the file that you recieve is complete and wasn't corrupted. For instance, if I wanted to send you a large file, I would create an .sfv file for the file that I'm sending and then send that along with the file. Once you recieved the whole file, you would open the .sfv (with the appropriate program) and it would tell you if you got the whole file or not and if the size and everything is right (suggesting that the file isn't corrupt).
  • csalisbury

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks. I have just now finished downloading from a different mirror site. I will let you all know what happens.
  • phpSelectah
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

also double check the MD5 sum is correct. The MD5 sum should be available from your FTP/download site.

NEVER use an image that has not passed .sfv or MD5 checksums, as it may be a hacked image, and cause damage to your or someone else's system.

MD5 checker:
http://www.blisstonia.com/shareware/WinMD5/

if they still do not boot, make sure that the ISO image is a bootable image.

You can do this using winISO:
http://www.winiso.com/
  • csalisbury

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok I downloaded another image from a different mirror site and same results. It just will not boot from the cd.
  • phpSelectah
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

csalisbury wrote:
Ok I downloaded another image from a different mirror site and same results. It just will not boot from the cd.

Make sure your bios is set to boot from the CD-Rom first.
  • csalisbury

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have did that already. It does not want to boot
  • phpSelectah
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

have you checked the checksums and made sure the Image is bootable with winiso ?
  • csalisbury

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am downloading winiso as we speak, that link that I got from you for the sums only opens like 68 windows and then closes real fast
  • phpSelectah
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.blisstonia.com/shareware/Win ... 5v2.02.exe

works for me ???
  • csalisbury

Post 3+ Months Ago

It worked this time
Also the image that I downloaded winiso says that it is a bootable cd
  • csalisbury

Post 3+ Months Ago

The MD5 check said that there was nothing there for that is there was an md5sum file on the mirror site do I need that as well
  • csalisbury

Post 3+ Months Ago

I created a boot disk and that doesn't work either!!! What the hell am I doing wrong. I checked the MD5Sums and I guess they were fine. I also checked with WinIso and the image that I have downloaded is a bootable image. Yet I cannot boot from the CDs and cannot from the boot disk either. HELP!!! I do not want to waste any more CDs with this. Could there be a conflict with Redhat 7 that is causing this? If so can I get rid of Redhat 7 with partition magic by deleting that partition or do I need to reformat the whole damn hard drive again. HELPPPP!!!!! :roll:
  • csalisbury

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I have taken everyone's suggestions so far. Nothing is working. I even ended up reformatting my hard drive to get Redhat 7 off of there. Still, the boot diskette that I made will not work nor will trying to autorun the cds what am i missing. When I downloaded the iso's, I did not download the MD5Sums am I supposed too. Does that go on the first CD when I burn it. What am I supposed to do. Someone Help me please, in Plain english. Thanks
  • phpSelectah
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

An md5 sum file does not go into the iso. It is used for verifying that the volume digest (in this case the iso) has not been modified.

Here you go, in plain english:

1. download Iso.

2. download md5 checksum file.

3. md5 iso and make sure the iso you downloaded matches the md5sum in the md5 file.

if the checksum doesn't match, re download from a reputable source (repeat steps 1 -2 again ), until you find an iso that matches it's md5 sum

4. open iso with winiso to ensure it is indeed bootable. If it isn't find an iso that is bootable and repeat steps (1-3)

5. burn iso to cdr media
6. install

Note: Some Cd's that are indeed bootable will not boot in some Cd-rom drives. I have run into this issue once in my life.
Try booting to the CD from another computer to ensure that the image works period.

If this is the case, upgrade your cdrom, or swap your cdrom with a cdrom that works (which requires familiarity with ide buses, and some moderate pc repair skills).

If all else fails head over to http://www.freebsd.org, and download a real operating system, lol :lol:
  • csalisbury

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your help. The I followed your directions and the dang thing will still not work. Giving up. Will install FreeBSD. Thanks
  • csalisbury

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you so much for your help. I was doing it wrong. The problem was that I was extracting the image. I didn't need to do that. I have Nero and all I did was use the "Burn Image" option and it worked. Thanks for your help. Like the picture by the way :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • joe191272
  • Born
  • Born
  • joe191272

Post 3+ Months Ago

i want to make my iso bootable from restarting my pc but even though ive entered bios and selected to boot from cd it doesnt work i use nero7 and it works on desktop how do i make this disk bootable

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts