Unable to install Red Hat Enterprize 5.2 in DELL laptop

• montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys
can any one tell me where i am wrong.

I have DELL studio laptop with 6GB Ram and 500HDD. For installing Linux i left 50GB unformated partition in my system. First i installed windows7 professional. Than 2ndly when i try to install Linux i get error.
I tried several combination and most of the time i get same error. "NOT ENOUGH SPACE". It is not allowing me to create any swap partition or ext partition.
Than i processed with the "use free space option", i got error that "NO SWAP PARTITION FOUND".

can any one guide how to install dual booting...or where i am wrong...
Thanks
Monty
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your mistake was creating one partition for two operating systems. Let's say I had a HD with 100GB. I would create two partitions, the first, NTFS & the second, Linux. Make a note of the starting & ending sectors of both. The Windows install would go on the first partition, let's say I made it 50GB.

Then when you install Linux, you would choose the second partition. During that install, you create sub-partitions. FreeBSD calls them slices. They are / (root), /dev, /var, /swap, /usr /tmp.

Somewhere along the line, it should ask about a boot loader. It's been so long since I've done dual boot, I don't remember. I prefer one OS to one machine.
  • montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes i have done this before also... but that time i had desktop and it was red hat ... not the Red Hat Enterprize 5.2 ..
i have done partition same the way u r telling. all partition are in NTFS format and 50gb is unformatted partition...
while installing i can see my HDD and its partition and allocation, there i need to create new partition... i tried all combination of / (root), /dev, /var, /swap, /usr /tmp. to create partition in that free space.... but every time it says.. not enough space...
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=725218

There are some instructions on it. If that doesn't work, format the unformatted space to an ext3 partition & see if that works.
  • montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the url..
here is my HDD partition
Quote:
type size
[*]OEM 125MB
[*]Boot Primary 200GB NTFS
[*]Primary 200GB NTFS
[*]Dell Recovery 10GB NTFS
[*]Unformatted 56GB

can u please guide me here...! which is the right way to do partition?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you booting the machine with the Enterprise CD? Have you tried to format the 56GB to ext3 using Linux fdisk? Is the partition output you quoted from fdisk -l ? If not, run fdisk -l to see if it matches.
  • montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes.... i am booting it with...Enterprise DVD .... i don't have linux fdisk... or is it inside that Enterprise DVD package... i just have to hit fdisk .. is so...? if not than can you please tell where can i get fdisk for linux...
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

fdisk should be on that DVD. If not, any Linux Live CD has it. I use backtrack 3.iso
  • montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

nope i it don't have.. i have tried fdisk...with various combination like... linux fdisk/ fdisk / linux text / nothing worked..
thanks for the info about backtrack 3.iso let me download it...

one more question as u have said.... "one OS to one machine."
can u please elaborate me.. more..! :-)
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't bother with dual boot anymore. A few years ago, I bought a Lenovo laptop with Vista. I wiped Vista & installed FreeBSD. Not everyone has the money or an extra machine to do that. The point is I prefer to have just one OS on a machine.
  • montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the info... i am downloading backtrack 3.iso hope it will solve my problem...
yeah it is true...no one is going to buy extra machine for another OS....
  • montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

banghead
Now i have removed my windows partition and OS. Than i just installed linux 5.2 only. Installed successfully but while booting i got this error.....
Quote:
<0>Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception

can u please guide me...!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts