Unix

• midgetsy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unix is text-based, like MS-DOS, correct?

another question

where can i find unix compatible software, is sourceforge a good idea?

sorry about my stupidity...im only 13
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know, asking questions at 13 is, IMHO, far from 'stupidity'; quite the contrary.

MS-DOS 1.0 was actually QDOS (quick and dirty OS, written by Tim Paterson of Seattle Computer Products and purchased by Bill Gates (Microsoft) in 1981 to fulfill a contract with IBM. He paid 50k for it; of course he never mentioned the deal with Paterson.
It was itself basically a psuedo-clone of CP/M -- just different enough so as to be legal.
Unix itself was around at least a decade before DOS. As DOS "improved" it was amended with some of the features that pre-existed in Unix, such as directories. :) (This is why DOS uses "\" instead of the Unix "/" for directory separation-- DOS was already using "/" as a the flag feature.

So if you are looking for a relation, DOS is more closely related -- albeit distant cousin -- to CP/M. Unix is like the Great Uncle, twice removed that the family doesn't like to talk about, but works his tail off. ;)

Cheers.
  • cyber_craft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unix can be text-base but their is a lot of GUI out their. Like KDE.
But i really don't think you are talking about Unix do you mean linux, linux was based off of unix.
Anyway...Their is a ton of linux Soft Ware out their. Plus a lot of it is Open-Source :)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

cyber_craft wrote:
Unix can be text-base but their is a lot of GUI out their. Like KDE.
But i really don't think you are talking about Unix do you mean linux, linux was based off of unix.
Anyway...Their is a ton of linux Soft Ware out their. Plus a lot of it is Open-Source :)

Actually, the kid is right -- Unix *is* text-based.
A core application which runs within Unix or Linux provides the GUI; X11 using XFree86, Xorg or the like.
Even KDE is not the GUI framework... it's merely the window manager which makes use of the framework put in place by X.

Long story short -- Unix (and Linux) *are* command line interface operating systems, which may be installed with a graphical framework (X) and an accompanying Window Manager (KDE, CDE, NextStep, AfterStep XFCE etc. et al).
It's almost a pity that the vast majority of Linux distributions automatically install the GUI, but I suppose if one is going to the desktop alternative, one must do that.
I would never, ever under any circumstances run a server with X active though -- talk about your security risks.

Cheers.
  • midgetsy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whoah, I just got a load of info right here. Too bad though. My teachers don't give a crap about this stuff, all they care about is science, math, english, and social studies, however, they don't care about what you can DO with science, math, english, and social studies.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Those things are important as well. ;)

Cheers!
  • cyber_craft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Man i really never looked at it like that. I mean the i know that XFree-86 Was for the X windows system but i didn't know that KDE was just a window manager....LOL

:oops:
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
You know, asking questions at 13 is, IMHO, far from 'stupidity'; quite the contrary.

MS-DOS 1.0 was actually QDOS (quick and dirty OS, written by Tim Paterson of Seattle Computer Products and purchased by Bill Gates (Microsoft) in 1981 to fulfill a contract with IBM. He paid 50k for it; of course he never mentioned the deal with Paterson.

Lets not forget to mention the fact that Gates first sent IBM to Patterson, but when Patterson refused to sign IBM's non-disclosure agreement they went back to Bill. On of the stupidest mistakes Patterson ever could have made.
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

midgetsy wrote:

another question

If you're looking at learning another operating system that supports the technical world in a way that windows cannot touch on in my opinion, try out Linux. Unix is really quite outdated as of now. When I was thirteen I was learning a few things and those were linux some advanced HTML with CSS and a touch of CGI and PHP. Over the years, you will be glad that you've ventured into this area, it opens up a whole new world.

EDIT:
maybe outdated isn't quite the right word bec. it is still used a lot but, you'll probably find Linux to be easier to experiment with.. and has a lot more software openly and easily available for it.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

darkermoon wrote:
midgetsy wrote:

another question

If you're looking at learning another operating system that supports the technical world in a way that windows cannot touch on in my opinion, try out Linux. Unix is really quite outdated as of now. When I was thirteen I was learning a few things and those were linux some advanced HTML with CSS and a touch of CGI and PHP. Over the years, you will be glad that you've ventured into this area, it opens up a whole new world.

EDIT:
maybe outdated isn't quite the right word bec. it is still used a lot but, you'll probably find Linux to be easier to experiment with.. and has a lot more software openly and easily available for it.

I sure am glad you added the clarification regarding "outdated".
You should keep in mind that Linux claims to be 'unix-like'; a moniker I am sure they would avoid -- not to mention brag about -- if the developers thought Unix was 'outdated'. Just because something has been around a lot longer, does not make it obsolete; especially given the evolving nature of Unix. (I won't even delve into the stability and security issues.)

Another point that requires amendment; Linux does not have more software available for it than Unix. When you bunch Unix up together into a large ball, you have to consider the commercial Unix environments; Solaris, AIX, HPUX, Irix, etc. There are a great many commercial applications available for closed-source Unix that are not available for ANY open-source project, simply due to their very nature.

Cheers.
  • midgetsy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, i already have linux. i got a suse cd from my mom who got it somewhere...if you notice my other thread on "Networking with Linux" it shows im trying to start networking with my linux pc, ive been getting problems, but ill get there, just a month or so...lol
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
darkermoon wrote:
midgetsy wrote:

another question

EDIT:

I sure am glad you added the clarification regarding "outdated".
You should keep in mind that Linux claims to be 'unix-like'; a moniker I am sure they would avoid -- not to mention brag about -- if the developers thought Unix was 'outdated'. Just because something has been around a lot longer, does not make it obsolete; especially given the evolving nature of Unix. (I won't even delve into the stability and security issues.)

Another point that requires amendment; Linux does not have more software available for it than Unix. When you bunch Unix up together into a large ball, you have to consider the commercial Unix environments; Solaris, AIX, HPUX, Irix, etc. There are a great many commercial applications available for closed-source Unix that are not available for ANY open-source project, simply due to their very nature.

Cheers.

I agree with you, but I'm saying software available to him, that he could use. I should be more specific, I apologize.
  • midgetsy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe there are plenty of freeware and open-source programs out there I can download free off the internet. Am I correct?

Later. jsy.
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup Linux is opensource and there are tons of programs out there that are free to use and have pretty good support, it's just a matter of finding it.

Depending on your distribution you might have apt-get preinstalled. With that package manager you can setup the .deb repositories and have access to most of them easily.

There is also apt-get for RPM's now and its pretty much the same with .deb except there aren't nearly as many repositores.

For RPM's there are lots of sites that you can download from also, just go on google.

If your using Fedora Core RPM's are super easy to find, if your using a debian-based distro apt-get is pretty easy also. For others it's a bit more work.
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

midgetsy wrote:
I believe there are plenty of freeware and open-source programs out there I can download free off the internet. Am I correct?

Later. jsy.

very correct. sourceforge.net is a good place to get open source stuff for linux (or unix, or windows) or if you hear of a program or need of a program you can just do some google searching and usually you will find the program for a free download. Usually only the high end linux stuff costs money..

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts