USB Flash drive trouble

• WNxGratefulJed
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • WNxGratefulJed
  • Loc: Trailerparkansas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I put in my USB Flash drive and I think it tries to mount it automatically. The reason why I think it tries to mount it itself is because it displays a bunch of information about my flash when I put it in. I try to mount it myself...heres the command:

mount -t vfat -o uid=rick,gid=users /dev/sda /home/rick/USBFlash

then it tells me that it is already mounted or busy so i type in: umount /dev/sda then it tells me that the device is not mounted. Any idea on how I can get this mounted?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• placid psychosis
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Warsaw, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you insert it, just issue the mount command with no arguments. It will tell you what is mounted and where. That info should give you an idea as to if it did automount and where it pointed it.

It may not have mounted, though. That info it gives may just be the USB subsystem registering the device.
  • WNxGratefulJed
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • WNxGratefulJed
  • Loc: Trailerparkansas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I may have found it. I think the name of the USB device is called /dev/shm and I think shm is short for shared media. I type in the command mount -t vfat /dev/shm /flash and then it says that its not a block device. That makes since because it is a universal SERIAL bus (USB). I think all I need to know is the file system and Im set.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts