• varma
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • varma
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

Good Morning,

I am not an expert in Linux environment. I have the following problem.

In my environment there is a group with the name 'db2grp1'. To remove the group, I have removed from /etc/group file about the group name.

When, I want to create the new group with the same name, it is telling that group already exists and I am not able to find the group to add a user to that goup.

Can any one help me, what is the procedure to remove a group. My environment is RHEL4.

Thanks,

Varma
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should have used the;
/usr/sbin/groupdel
command.

/usr/sbin/groupdel <groupname>

Try that and see what you get.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're on RHEL, you should have used the Applications -> System Settings -> Users and Groups applet. Of course, if you only have terminal access, then yeah, what ^he said^.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

this213 wrote:
If you're on RHEL, you should have used the Applications -> System Settings -> Users and Groups applet. Of course, if you only have terminal access, then yeah, what ^he said^.

Ugh, damn GUI. :)

Glad to see you're back hero. ;)
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Daemonguy. Work was nuts for a while - then I went on vacation to compensate. The only computer I've been using recently was a Playstation 2 :)

I tend to stay away from GUIs myself, but this sounds like a case where the OP shouldn't be digging around system config files (no offense, varma).

However varma, since you've already manually deleted a group from /etc/group, go do the same thing to /etc/gshadow and next time use the /usr/sbin/vigr command (as root) to edit groups in the future - if you're going to do it manually, that is. Also for future reference, the same for users is vipw.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts