VIM and FTP question

• Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Flordia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, recently I've been trying to get more familiar with *nix and therefore have started doing most of my web development via the terminal. Anyways I find my self doing the same repetitive tasks and I know there must be a more effiecent way. I start by opening an FTP connection, then I "!" out and start editing my php file. Once I'm done I exit the shell to go back into FTP, however by that time my connection has expired and I have to start another one. I was wondering if there was a way I could save my username/password, and just be able to do a simple ":put" from the terminal and put my file on the server. Or if there is any other way to do this repetitive task more efficiently.

Any Advice?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are going to edit a file remotely, I would ssh to the machine. FTP is for transferring files.
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Flordia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
If you are going to edit a file remotely, I would ssh to the machine. FTP is for transferring files.

No, I'm editing files on my local machine, then transfering them to a server. Everything works, I'm just wondering if theres a more efficent way to do it. Such as a macro. It just gets annoying having to keep starting up an ftp connection every time I want to upload the same file.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

That time out is set by the server which is probably beyond your control. You maybe able to find or write a script to automate your connection. I don't have one.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts