ViM

• khayoz
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • khayoz
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just started Uni, and I'm hearing a lot of things about ViM, but I just don't get what is so good about it, because I've just started using it, but if someone can explain what makes it so good and such?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's all a matter of personal preference. Try various editors and decide for yourself. I can see an editor war coming, which will do you no good.
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't like Vi.. Nothing wrong with it apart from it is very unfriendly and unintuitive if you are unfamiliar with it (and the only time you encounter a need for it is when you have no options)

Yes it is fast and powerful, but I think people are pulling your leg a little.. along the lines of "ViM is great, you must use it" to see your response when faced with something which works in a way unlike anything else.

Check out this page (I use it as a reference guide for Vi.. http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc ... viedit.htm

Yes I can use it, but never from choice, and never if I have any alternative available. It's not familiar enough, because I don't use it every couple of days.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll use emacs before I ever use Vim, and that's saying something, because I really don't like emacs either.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only guaranteed editor on any Unix/Linux system you come across is vi. It's ubiquitous nature demands foreknowledge. :)
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

And isn't that just so. My first encounter with it was on a SCO/UNIX system longer back than I care to think about. I printed the man page as soon as I was able, but you know.. those commands just don't stick in the brain if you only use something once in a blue moon. I put nano on a floppy ;)
Love it/hate it.. the darn thing will always be there. It's a curse I tell you.. a curse... (hides back in hole)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

shift+q wq || shift+q q! <= all u need to know >.<

Janrocks wrote:
I put nano on a floppy ;)

rofl, whats a floppy? ;]

i put slax on my flash drive ?
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
The only guaranteed editor on any Unix/Linux system you come across is vi. It's ubiquitous nature demands foreknowledge. :)

Aside from the fact that vi is also the only text editor that hasn't either been bloated into being practically it's own operating system (emacs), doesn't bork some files when you open them (nano, with it's habit of breaking long lines) and is relatively easy to learn (esc twice + [i|:q!|:wq!]).

Unless you're a system administrator or similar, I doubt you'll be spending all day in it. You'd be better off with something like Gedit or Geany if you're try to write actual code (or PSPad for Windows).

Then too, there are something on the order of 57,546,896,967,520 text editors.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

• this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL, nice
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahah...very nice.
i was thoroughly entertained by this one, too: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/sandwich.png
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

That one was good. Can you imagine what a "normal" person would think if they stumbled upon some of the xkcd's that we think are funny? I'm imagining a blank stare with crickets chirping in the background.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahah exactly...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts