Weird Ubuntu Problem

• Jason1985
  • Jason1985

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, I am a beginner to Linux, I am fairly skilled @ working with a computer... I know their is a difference in Linux and windows of course and with my job I have to know both.. So, I downloaded Ubuntu and the GUI install would not install the Operating System. I am using ext3. So, I used the text installer to install the program and got it to install Ubuntu, and proceeded in getting my XP to dual boot with it using the Grub boot loader.. Okay, I got logged into Linux, and the 1st thing I noticed is the desktop to Ubuntu is slightly larger than my monitor.. For example, I can move my mouse towards the top of the screen to see the top grey bar, and then move my mouse to the bottom of the screen to see the bottom grey bar.. I am not sure of the technical term for them but they would be the equivalent to the start bar in windows... I could still work everything in Ubuntu and even installed some applications like beryl, and wine... even got it browsing my mp3 collection on my NTFS partition.. But my issue with the screen is still there.. Ubuntu loads fine just the desktop is too big, I even got the cube working... So, I found the drivers to my graphics card and that did not fix it.. So, I tried changing the resolution to my box and the OS crashed..

I have a amd 3800 x2
1 gig ddr 333mghz pc2700 ram
1 Geforce 7300 gfx card

Any suggestions?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't use Ubuntu but I believe it has something to do with the
XF86Config file.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol silly don. only unix uses x86 ;] pretty much every distro of linux is on X11.

changing the resolution definitely shouldn't make the OS crash tho, you should make sure that it detected your monitor correctly (make/model). it doesn't seem like such a problem would make it crash, but you'd definitely lose your display settings..although it has the dialog box asking if you're sure you want to keep the new settings and if you dont click yes it resets them to the last setting.

kind of a silly question, but did you try using the physical controls on your monitor to adjust the h-size and v-size of the display? most newer monitors (w/in the last 4-5 years) should have buttons on the display and on screen settings, older monitors than that would usually have some kind of dials you turn..
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI I searched that on google before I posted and I saw references to the XF86Config files to Ubuntu.

However, you have a point. I should stop answering Linux questions since I use FreeBSD and haven't used Linux since Red Hat 8.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahh, that makes sense then.
i wasn't trying to say you should stop answering linux questions, but maybe download a livecd of a distro or two and look under its covers to see what it has? besides, theres no harm running a livecd just to check things out :]
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, I downloaded the live CD. It's here somewhere. Some rainy day, I'll look for it and boot an old machine with it.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol you could just have them send you a disk in the mail of it. they'll send it completely free (takes 4-6 wks to ship)

but why on some old machine? lol
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't want to use my main PCs for something like that. I'll probably do a complete install and not just use the Live CD as is. That's why I said an old machine.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're going to do a complete install, I certainly wouldn't use a live CD for it. Have a look at Fedora, you'll get better all around support (both in terms of packages and hardware support).

Be warned though, if the machine you're going to install on is *very* old, you're going to have to have some knowledge of Linux to get it working right. It's also not a bad idea to use a distro from the same era (so RHL 9 for a 6 year old machine).
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's about the time I stopped using Linux RH 8, so I don't think I'm going back to that. I'll try ubuntu some day but I can say when.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

I only mention RHL 9 for old systems. If you're hardware has memory older than DDR (say it uses PC-133) RHL 9 serve you better than any modern distro (other than Gentoo). This has little to do with the distro and more to do with modern distro support for modern hardware and expecting more RAM. Well, more to the point, it has to do with Metacity and KDE wanting more RAM to operate. Gentoo is the exception, but only if you install from the minimal stage 3 CD and compile everything on-system - which isn't nearly as hard as it sounds, especially given that Gentoo provides step by step instructions.

Personally, I still don't like Ubuntu. I have issues with automatically giving users complete control over the system and feel that their implementation of sudo completely obliterates the whole purpose behind separate root and user accounts (I also don't like brown that much).

I should also point out that RHL 9 is a completely different animal than RHL 8. I actually stayed with RHL 6 until 9 came out because of instability issues with every release between 6 and 9.
  • Jason1985
  • Jason1985

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks you know the monitor ideal is surpreb ideal, but It seems to be picking everything up just fine ill try the monitor ideal its one of those its so simple it may work kind of things haha
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

exactly ^_^ let us know how it goes
  • Jason1985
  • Jason1985

Post 3+ Months Ago

I Decided to reinstall Ubuntu Cause I had to work on my windows install as well.. And it let me change the resolution and it fixed the problem thanks fellas

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts