What dist. to use on a 133MHz?

• puKKa
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, Im going to get a comp. at about 133Mhz, 64MB RAM and maybe 5GB HDD, so, What linux dist. do you think is the most suitible for the comp? Its going to be a Webserver and a private FTP and a computer that I can use if I need to surf around for something or to write something :)

thanks
  • leachy86
  • Born
  • Born
  • leachy86
  • Loc: Manchester, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pretty ironic actually, ive just got a Pentium 133mhz with 64mb RAM and a 3GB HDD, i got it from my college so i could have a play with linux. Ive put Madrake 7.0 on it coz i had the distribution version of it, so it was easiest - it runs OK, some programs have crashed on it / dont start though. Im downloadin the 3CDs for the latest Linux RedHat opensource version (codenamed, like v.10?) i hope it'll work, the topic discussing the RedHat 10 screenshots make it look a v. sweet OS to play with 8)
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

i run a slackware 8.1 on my MMX box...no problems ever and i got 32 mb ram, and 3gb harddrive
  • veryhip
  • veryhip
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use Debian on all my computers, from my PII/400 to my new hyper threading server, except my Windows desktop =]. The new Sarge install for Debian is simply awesome. Allows you to install 2.4.24 or 2.6.3 kernels. Supports most new hardware, even SATA cards I think. Give it a whirl, I think it's the best as far as ease of use (dselect/apt-get is simple; just don't install testing/devel version on a production box!!!), power, and "normal"-out-of-box configuration. I found my way around easily and quickly.
  • Freakyp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: M'boro. TN, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

another option might be to run a "live" disro, I nice one that I often use for my low resource computers is "Damn Small Linux" you should check it out :wink:
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, lol I beleive that that cd is only like 20-30 mb in size. I am not sure that it has any webserver options
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lest we forget a *real* unix; FreeBSD. :)

http://www.freebsd.org

Cheers.
  • benoitb
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Washington, DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I put redhat 8.0 on my 266mhz.
  • benoitb
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Washington, DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I also think you cant go wrong with freebsd. I really appreciate the unices (linux, unix etc...) because they take advantage of old hardware, unlike windows which requires alot faster system in order to run any of the applications on. I honestly think i would have chucked at least 5 computers in my home had it not been for linux ;-).

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts