Um...What is linux?

• EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know i sound stupid but im always hearing ppl talk about this LiNux OS
and i just wan to know what it is, where to get it, Is it better (than xp), and anything else you can throw in :lol:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• aeon
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
and i just wan to know what it is

Linux is an Operating System based on Unix, the source code for linux is made freely available, therefore you are legally allowed to own/distribute copies of the source code, you are also free to modify it. (Linux is one of the most successful examples of open-source software)

Quote:
Is it better (than xp)

That is a matter of opinion, Linux has a much steeper learning curve than that of XP, but the advantages include customizibility etc. The best thing for you to do if you're interested in trying linux is to use one of the live cd's, knoppix is a good one. A live cd is an entire operating system which fits on a cd, you don't have to partition/install etc. it'll boot and run directly from the cd.

You might be interested in reading gnu.org fsf.org and maybe linux.org, you can find a list of mirrors for linux iso's at linuxiso.org, or you can download via bittorrent at tlm-project.org.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

:shock: ..............You do know your talking to a person than knows nothing in programing or what ever you were talking about. :lol:
could you say it like... you were talking to a retard :lol: What the Hellicopter is a sorce code? :help:
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

its an alternate operating system.
its free to use. [legally]
you can modify any part of it because it is under and open source license [anti-microsoft]
harder to use [steeper learning curve

the "live cds" are linux operating systems that fit on the cd
they dont have to be installed on the computer and run directly from said cd
they are used by people like me and you , complete n00bs to the subject
they are used to give a general idea of what linux is

b.t.w. , sick personal message!
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

je me suggesterai knoppix

http://www.knoppix.org/ for information

and http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/ for download via bt

sorry bout the [really really bad] french back there. i think it means i will suggest
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

4ss_munk3y wrote:

b.t.w. , sick personal message!

whats that suppost to mean? :?:
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like the message that is apparent at the end of all your posts

Quote:
Fear leads to anger...anger leads to stress...stres leads to doobies...and doobies lead to twinkies. -YodaMan
-KoRn RuLes.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

and twinkies lead to fat bellies ^_^
which leads to more doobies b/c of fat bellies.
never ending cycle.
too ruthless.

:)
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

for you average user I would recommend Windows. I want to stay away from calling it more user friendly but it really is (mainly because of the ease of finding help files and programs for it).

For a more advanced user or someone looking for a specfic system (i.e. web server, file server, etc) I would recommend Linux. Because it holds a lower share in the market very few Mal ware writers pay attention to it, also it has some inherient security features over Windows. but it is much harder to learn and use.
  • jmweb
  • Student
  • Student
  • jmweb
  • Loc: 127.0.0.1

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your looking for something already built and operation, use Windows.

If you want the o/s to do your own thing, use unix :)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
for you average user I would recommend Windows. I want to stay away from calling it more user friendly but it really is (mainly because of the ease of finding help files and programs for it).

a.k.a. for n00bs / braindead general public who when they go to use a computer pose the question "how do i turn it on?" :-P
also for gamers as most games are made for windows :(

Quote:
For a more advanced user or someone looking for a specfic system (i.e. web server, file server, etc) I would recommend Linux. Because it holds a lower share in the market very few Mal ware writers pay attention to it, also it has some inherient security features over Windows. but it is much harder to learn and use.

thats mostly true, but there is versions of linux such as Xandros which is pretty user friendly also. and the installation is actually EASIER than Windows (any version). it also looks and feels similar to windows, but still has that linux zing ;) however, when i used it, i felt too restricted and i went back to using Fedora :)
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

I remember when I needed to install new video drivers in Redhat 9 boy that was fun figureing out how to do that..... lol
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you can use google and have a reasonable level of computer knowledge I'd say that many things are actually easier in Linux than they are in Windows. Linux is a lot less restrictive.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, but redhat 9 is how old now? lol Fedora Core 4 is released in 2 days and thats redhats replacement for the free version of redhat, so yea.. things have changed.
although figuring out how to install my radeon drivers was interesting..until i found a "how to" on fedoraforum.org's website :)
  • EngLee
  • Student
  • Student
  • EngLee

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just install one for yourself as what I did to learn about linux! :)

http://lifeasprogrammer.blogspot.com/2005/06/redhat-9.html
  • Tristan_Merz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Capital Region [TechValley] NY, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I buy a new PC with 80 gigs hard drive and some version of
Windows like XP Home (I heard the professional was not so great,
or maybe that's been fixed) factory installed. Do I need SCSI and
RAID to arrive at a really well-done (some) Linux-installed double
boot system myself?

And, is the site below good as a tutorial, or is it as I suspect,
too general. In which case, can you suggest a better online info
source for installing (SCSI RAID yes/no?) Linux on a typical new ~ $1,000 PC

and, finally, then: 'your thoughts, Hobson(s)': Compaq? HP? Dell?
mpc? alianware? ___somename___.

:?: http://mc1soft.com/linux/install_linux.htm :?:
  • Katushai
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

In a nutshell, linux is like windows xp in the sense that it starts when your computer starts, its your main engine, thats what you use to start everything. The upside to linux is that you can program on it, you can use it as a mail server, a web server, so on... The downside is that windows programs will not run on it. For example, if you have flash mx, it will not work on linux. Or, if you have photoshop, or smartftp, neither will work on linux. Linux has its ups and downs, but the term "downside" when coupled with "linux" is always relative. If you want to play games and chat with friends and surf the web, linux is not the way to go. But, if youre a programmer just starting your career, you want to be "100% Proud to be Microsoft Free", then linux is the way to go, along with other reasons. The only reason linux is an operating system and is not either owned by microsoft or bought out of business by microsoft is because its fully and completely free, according to the GPL. you can find different distributions, or different versions of linux, at http://www.linuxiso.org . i hope this gave you the info you were looking for.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats...not entirely correct. http://www.codeweavers.com <-- if you buy their software, then you can use windows programs such as photoshop in linux :P and idk what distro you use, but when i installed Fedora Core 4 it camse stock with Gaim and Firefox so how is it NOT for surfing the web or chatting? and for gaming in linux, http://www.transgaming.com <-- there's cedega. so as you can see, linux is becoming more of a desktop than just being used for servers or programmers.

here's some screenshots from Xandros 3, the most "windows-like" distro i've seen.. http://www.xandros.com/products/home/de ... shots.html
you can't tell me that that was made for programmers and programmers alone ;)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts