• No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

They are just operating systems like Windows, except they are opensource and free to download. They are more server friendly then consumer based windows OS's and allow you to host your site online. They are also a great os for programmers.
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

From http://www.linux.org
Quote:
Linux is a free Unix-type operating system originally created by Linus Torvalds with the assistance of developers around the world. Developed under the GNU General Public License , the source code for Linux is freely available to everyone.

Too read about what UNIX is, visit this page: http://www.unix.org/what_is_unix.html

Linux is a very secure operating systems. It isn't as user-friendly as operating systems like Windows, but it is FREE and very handy if you are a programmer. Some of my Linux friends even say, "It's not just an operating system, it's a way of life." I don't quite agree with them to that extent, but it's still a great OS.
  • PluTunium
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Touring the USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

So why would I want to choose linux or unix over a windows os? Besides they are good for programmers? And B_Heyer...Don't people usually host their sites online? where else would they?
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well if you didn't want to pay and you had an extra computer, you could hook it up to the internet and run it as a server, then host your site on there. Thats basically what payhosts do but in mass ammounts.
  • PluTunium
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Touring the USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

can i do that with a mac???!!! thats sweet im gonna doo it but i have to figure out how to first
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not that I know of, and it is a bit more complicated then what I stated, but that is the basic idea.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts