whats fedoracore 3 SVR or 4.3 + BSD

• man_in_mask101
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • man_in_mask101

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello everyone
this is a newbie in unix programming. I wanted to know that what is fedora core 3 a SVR or is under BSD release .What is the diff betwenn the two and examples of both
Thanks in advance
bbye
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fedora is Linux which is a Unix like operating system. It is based on Red Hat which is it's predecessor.
FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD are Unix operating systems which existed before Linux.
I prefer FreeBSD to the other 2. I haven't used Linux in so long, I can't tell you much about it anymore.
  • man_in_mask101
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • man_in_mask101

Post 3+ Months Ago

still not satisfied with the answer can u please eloborate on this..thank you..
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Still not satisfied? That's funny. I can't go through the history of Unix and Linux in one post and all the differences, so let me point you to a very informative site written by the creators of Unix. Most people think it was invention of AT&T but that's not quite right.
http://www.simson.net/ref/ugh.pdf
  • man_in_mask101
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • man_in_mask101

Post 3+ Months Ago

bro please dun be angry..i just wanted to know whether fedora core 3 is a SVR or BSD 4.3 + version?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

don2007 wrote:
Fedora is Linux which is a Unix like operating system. It is based on Red Hat which is it's predecessor.
thaaat's not entirely accurate. :]
Fedora is a distribution of Linux, Linux is based on Unix - yes. Fedora is not based on Red Hat, but is sponsored by RH. it is true that RH stopped producing their free/general purpose distro at RH9, but they didn't transfer that to FC1. they simply started sponsoring fedora. not producing :]

man_in_mask101 wrote:
bro please dun be angry..i just wanted to know whether fedora core 3 is a SVR or BSD 4.3 + version?

none of the above. fedora core 3 is "bleeding edge", outdated distribution of linux. BSD is unix. you're not specifying which version of BSD you're referring to, so BSD 4.3 doesn't mean anything more than linux 2.6 ;)
the reason FC3 is bleeding edge and outdated at the same time, is because Fedora tries to have the newest packages always readily available. so you're getting and testing the newest versions of things, usually. but version 3 was from like 2 years ago.. the current version is fedora core 6. and if i had to guess, i would assumed you're talking about FreeBSD 4.3 which is also outdated as the newest version is 6.2
FC3 could be used as a server as there are servers that you can install with it (i.e. http server, samba server, ftp server...) but i wouldn't suggest using it for any form of a server.

why are you interested in older versions?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anarchy: That's what I was trying to avoid. All the explanation of Fedora, Red Hat, BSD and the long list of other choices is just going to confuse a new Unix user. It doesn't really matter if RH produces or just sponsors Fedora.
The answer to his question is: Either one can be used as a server. Try one. If you don't like it, try the other.
Linux is more popular among home users who want an alternative to MS. I myself, knew some ISP owners who were FreeBSD guys so I went with that in the beginning. I tried various distributions of Linux along the way and went back to BSD when I couldn't open the new RPM because I didn't have the new RPM.
  • man_in_mask101
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • man_in_mask101

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks a lot....actually i was trying to study IPC in FC3 from a bookof W Steven Richards .
In this book they stated that diff function has diff way to be implemented in SVR 4 and BSD 4.3+. eg the IPC stream pipes was implemented in diff way in both of them.In SVR 4 using the pipe() and in BSD4.3 + using the socketpair(). I have got installed FC3 in my box and i wanted to know under what will it come so that i can use the appropiate function.
thanks in advance
m a newbie please try to help me out.
bbye
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

man_in_mask101 wrote:
.What is the diff betwenn the two and examples of both

Don2007 wrote:
Anarchy: That's what I was trying to avoid. All the explanation of Fedora, Red Hat, BSD and the long list of other choices is just going to confuse a new Unix user. It doesn't really matter if RH produces or just sponsors Fedora.
The answer to his question is: Either one can be used as a server. Try one. If you don't like it, try the other.

hMm...you were trying to avoid answering the question? the OP didn't ask about any other choices, but specifically fc3 & bsd. to me it does matter if RH produces or sponsors something, because in one case if something goes wrong than you're like "that damn RH", but in the other case you're like "that damn community producing fedora"... and it kind of seems like you're saying the OP is too stupid to be given choices or information. i dont think thats true. so if a question is asked, if i can then i'll help answer it. :] if you think my information is confusing, i'll explain it more thoroughly.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I answered the question. The answer wasn't good enough for him. I said that I can't go through the entire history and all the differences but either one would work. I also said that it can be confusing. That's not the same as stupidity.
If something goes wrong, I really don't care if he curses RH or Fedora. That's the furthest thing from my mind.
  • man_in_mask101
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • man_in_mask101

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks a lot....actually i was trying to study IPC in FC3 from a bookof W Steven Richards .

In this book they stated that diff function has diff way to be implemented in SVR 4 and BSD 4.3+. eg the IPC stream pipes was implemented in diff way in both of them.In SVR 4 using the pipe() and in BSD4.3 + using the socketpair(). I have got installed FC3 in my box and i wanted to know under what will it come so that i can use the appropiate function.

thanks in advance

bbye
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

man_in_mask101 wrote:

thanks in advance

bbye

lol i think he wants us to stop bickering & help him :P

as to masks question, are you trying to write a program that will execute the same way for both distro's? because if so, you could get the name of the distro from it and then have a conditional which will execute one function if its on this distro, if not it'll execute this function.

or are you asking what function is actually used on each distro?
and you said SVR 4 and BSD 4.3 , which version of BSD are you talking about? and do you mean SVR 4 as the same one thats being discussed here? or rather, could you better clarify what exactly you're trying to accomplish and exactly which distro's or OSs you're talking about? the abbreviations aren't helping anything i dont think..
  • man_in_mask101
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • man_in_mask101

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey anarchy do u have a yahoo id i wanna chat wid u for 10 mins..plzz dude..i think u can solve my prob..plzzz
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

dont usually use yahoo, but one does exist thats connected to me. lol check your pm's.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
and you said SVR 4 and BSD 4.3 , which version of BSD are you talking about? and do you mean SVR 4 as the same one thats being discussed here?

the reference was being made to SRV 4 / Unix System V
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

You never said anything about IPC or the book you were reading. Why didn't you put that in your original post? The thread would have taken an entirely different course.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts