other

whats the best version of linux?

• x-LinuxFusion-x
  • Born
  • Born
  • x-LinuxFusion-x
  • Loc: b`ham

Post 3+ Months Ago

what really is the best version of linux, if you post a reply, be sure you name ALL its good points, thank you
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• BlueOrb
  • Born
  • Born
  • BlueOrb

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't use Linux, would like to tho (need another hd). I have only used the SuSe LiveEval, never used RedHat, SuSe just really good at finding your drives and stuff...
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would have to say Redhat 9. One of my servers uses that O/S and I love it. It has a great deal of features, and very stable. I have always liked Redhat. Important features to me are:

Linux Kernel 2.4.20
GCC 3.2.1
GNU libc 2.3.2 (with NPTL)
Web server powered by Apache httpd 2.0
MySQL 4.0.15
PHP 4.3.3
Perl v5.8.0
Mrtg 2.9.17
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

The best distro really depends upon who is using it. Mandrake is great for beginners as it is so easy to use and Redhat is great for mostly everything and is certainly the most well-rounded distro.

I actually happen to like Slackware. I'm definitely no Linux guru, but Slackware has helped me learn. I learned how to compile the kernel within the first week of trying it out and I learn something new each time that I boot up.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

and redhat 7, redhat 8, and redhat 9, are all the same distro's...

I liked debian, then mandrake, and now geekette is getting me into slackware.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just thought I'd let you all know I am posting this from KDE on my new set up of Slackware. It seems to be going without too many problems right now :)
  • scarecrow
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: ga

Post 3+ Months Ago

first, get the latest version of any distro and never install an older version with bugs and security holes. "free" redhat 9 is now fedora core 1. see http://fedora.us/

next, update your operating system often.

sometimes which linux distro depends on your hardware. for instance, on my superserver with dual xeon processors Redhat and Fedora work out of the box. sax2 on SUSE hangs, and everything else including MS Windows XP requires special drivers for my motherboard and raid adaptor.

use the one that works for your system!

i would never consider using older versions of linux distros. however, i did like redhat 4.2 and redhat 7.2 as well as some early versions of slackware.

which is best? the one that works out of the box! i just did a live update from RH 9.0 to fedora core 1 using apt-get. it wasn't pretty but i got it working now. call it luck, i don't recommend this.

if it works with your box, debian woody was a very good release! Redhat has always had the best hardware and laptop support but it is also very buggy.

glad to see the day when i do not have to keep at least one MS Windows box. but for now, it is unavoidable. Wine (the windows emulator) just doesn't cut it.

In fact, i would prolly trade all this junk for a couple of good G5's and a 17in powerbook loaded to the max with Mac OSX. When it comes to which OS or which hardware, money is usually the deciding factor. The Solaris license with dual cpu support is around $295 - about the same as XP Pro fullversion.

one advantage of linux: you can get it for free and it comes with compiler, daemon servers, etc. it's not necessarily better, but i like the file structure of a *nix type OS.

scarecrow
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Geekette wrote:
The best distro really depends upon who is using it.

Geekette nailed it. I'd rather not vote.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts