Where?

• Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Soy Cubano, no puedo ser diferent!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was wondering... I dont know much about Linux or Unix..... as far as I know ( I dont know if Im correct ) is that is like a more advance and secure Windows type.

anyways if all this is true, where can I buy Linux Installation CD? cause I have been searching for it, and havent find it in any store.

thanks in advance
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Omol
  • Omol

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

first of all it depends on what you want to do. I swear by suse linux 9,2 pro and bought the instlation cd's from http://www.suse.com. It include GNOME and KDE whitch are two powerful x windows systems for the linux kernal. The amount of suport you get from novell (the people who make suse linux) give a huge amount of surport if you need it and the YAST configaration is very easy to get you head around.

I use linux because of it's power in the develpment and programming areas. It's not good for playing games though. But with wine you can port some windows games and programs to run under the x windows os.

But if your not in the game of paying for open source things, then look at the live version of suse, or fedora (formally known as redhat) linux distros. They often apear on the front of magazines as well!

Use some google kung foo and see what you come up with.

There are other unix style os's out there such as free bsd.

The whole idea behind linux being more secure is that it uses multiuser logins, root being the administrator of the computer, windows is considered insecure because most people just use that account because you have to be to install programs and such like, were as in linux you can quickly switch between users with the su/sudo commands. The most inportant thing to do is not fall into the habbit of using root to do every thing. Any thing else i can help with?

oo yeah one more thing to add, you can install both linux and windows on the same hard drive! Easy with yast.

regards omol, and hope you make the right choice in your os.
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks a lot for your quick reply, you have been really helpful Omol.
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

one more thing... what would be the PC requirements in order to intall any Linux version?
  • Omol
  • Omol

Post 3+ Months Ago

It really depends, you could use a pentium 3 733 (coppermine) with 250 mb's ram and run suse 9.2 with a 10 gb hard disk. But if you don't use the x system alot less. it really depends on what distro you go for. Google around for this.

chars, omol.
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

alright...thanks a lot man
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

This should help RedHat
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I bought my last distro on ebay, it's cheaper than buying a magazine and less hassle than downloading it yourself. I paid around $5, including p&p, for Fedora 3 on DVD.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

i've also seen SuSe Pro 9.2 at best buy.. and i work at staples and we have RedHat 9 Enterprise Ed. for about $90 but yea.. ebay would DEFINITELY be cheaper. although the cheapest way to go would be to simply download it.. but when you download one of the linux os's, you dont get the support (which i've never found i needed) but some people may need / want. also.. novell only has only made SuSe for the 9.2 version.. its originally came from Germany but Novell bought them after they release 9.1 (which is what i had downloaded quite a while ago). and wine isn't all that great for installing windows games.. which is why transgaming made cedega (off wine i believe..) http://www.transgaming.com ..and then if you wanted to install programs that you have like photoshop or office (which would be pointless because open office is free and reads all of microsofts formats) then you could easily do so with codeweavers Crossover Office http://www.codeweavers.com

also, installing windows and linux on the same time is generally easy with any install. whether its fedora, mandrake, xandros (the most windows-like linux os), suse.. the BSD's aren't as n00b friendly IMHO, but i can't be positive about that as the farthest i've gotten is downloading FreeBSD and burning it, lol.
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok another question, which Linux version is better?
Where can i download it for free?

Would that be illegal?

thanks
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

This question has been asked and answered several times in here, and I would prefer not to get into another, "... this distro is better than that one..." type argument.

Check these out;
http://www.ozzu.com/unix-linux-forum/linux-t38249.html
and
http://www.ozzu.com/unix-linux-forum/windows-guy-need-help-linux-pick-t41089.html

No, it's not illegal. They are distributed under the GNU public license (as opposed to the BSD style license, the various BSD's are distributed under).

Cheers.
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

thank you
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea.. the whole "which distro is better" question really has to be answered by you because that is all about preference. and each distro has its pro's and cons.. my suggestion would be to download / install as many as you can and try each of them out.. see which one you feel most comfortable in.
this is a good place to find links leading to downloads of distro's, and its got quite the collection of distro's on their site.. http://www.distrowatch.com
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok so I went to the sites to see If I could buy them but it have something Im not familiar with... Im not sure which to buy:

Gentoo 2004.3 ix86

Gentoo 2004.3 PPC

Gentoo 2004.2 AMD64

what does the underline text means?
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

They refer to the processor of the computer you are going to install it on. 1x86 is a 32 bit PC, AMd 64 a 64 bit PC etc.

Shadow Knight wrote:
ok so I went to the sites to see If I could buy them but it have something Im not familiar with... Im not sure which to buy:

Gentoo 2004.3 ix86

Gentoo 2004.3 PPC

Gentoo 2004.2 AMD64

what does the underline text means?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
They refer to the processor of the computer you are going to install it on. 1x86 is a 32 bit PC, AMd 64 a 64 bit PC etc.

actually they refer to the cpu ;) lol
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

O' defiant one please tell us what the acronynm CPU stands for ??

AnarchY SI wrote:
Quote:

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

central processing unit ;)

btw, pc.. stands for personal computer. meaning everything inside that box next to you.. ;) haha
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now please tell us why the "processor of the computer" is the wrong answer? Or better yet enlighten us as to the intricate details that differentiate a "CPU" from the "processor of the computer"?

AnarchY SI wrote:
Quote:

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha, thank you for quoting the correct AND incorrect part of your statement :)
Quote:
1x86 is a 32 bit PC, AMd 64 a 64 bit PC etc.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts