which distro to choose? +is the BSD's etc better than Linux?

• HennyTheMinx
  • HennyTheMinx
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, i have a problem, currently using OSX 10.2 on a mac but about to lose that computer to my ex, so will have to go back to an old IBM Aptiva, which has Windows 98 on it, but i don't wanna go back to Windows so i want to install some Unix type of OS, just don't know which one!

i don't really have any experience of any Unix/Linux type OS's apart from OSX (which i love so far, haven't had it that long)

The box is an old (like i said) IBM Aptiva (4 years old) with 192 MB RAM, AMD-K2 400 MHz, 8 MB shared graphics on motherboard and 4 GB of hard drive avalible if i wipe it clean. it also has one drive free for another hard drive and another drive for a dvd or whatever if i wanna get that...incase that make any difference lol!
i wanna do the usual stuff (browse, mail, etc) as well as build sites, be able to do as much image stuff as it'll allow me until i get a new com, and i also plan to get into programming soon, (php, javascript, C/C++ and who knows after that...lol!)

have run Knoppix on it but it sorta half froze on me most of the time so that hasn't really worked out that good, i'm not bothered about how it looks what i want is something that is reasonably user friendly, runs smooth :D, and isn't limited incase i want to do more things after a while.

my problem is that i have no idea as to what to install! i was thinking of debian or mandrake....or FreeBSD, but not really sure what to choose...or anuthing else that you lot recommend?

also wondering is the various BSD's better than the distros of Linux in your oppinion? (just wondering because as i understand it theier code is actually Unix for the main part...where as Linux is written from scratch?) Is there actually any difference in performance between Unix itself, the BSD's (i'm including Darwin and OSX in that group i suppose!?) and Linux?

thanx for any suggestions

xxx
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi i have 2 inputs the MAC OS is actually based on UNIX and the second suggestion would be for the Linux OS to Choose, I recoment Mandrake highly to anyone starting with linux. It has wizard for most of the task. I have just downloaded the mandrake 10.0 last week and i highly do not recomend it. Reather i would say mandrake 9.0 because i have it running on a pIII 450 test machine and it is farly smooth. You said Knoppix it is nice because it is a live cd and when you want to start over just reboot but yeah i say mandrake 9.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mac OS X is the old mach kernel and Darwin -- what equates to BSD-ish environment.

If that is what you are used to, then I suggest sticking to it or something similar; namely, FreeBSD. ;)

IMHO, nothing is more stable. Security is a breeze as well, and support is available freely through the freebsd mailing lists.

Cheers.
  • redhawk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mandrake 9.0 or 9.1 is good. I have run (and running) 9.1 and it works nicely. But its all choice really, whatever you are used to or want to try.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

for a slow box, I would recommend FreeBSD. I am lucky enough to have a fast box so I can use fedora.

As for me I have failed at ever getting a box running freeBSD to do anything useful. I hope to learn one day but for the moment its fedora.

http://fedora.redhat.com/
  • Rico16135
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Rico16135
  • Loc: Arlington, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd seriously suggest SuSE 9.1 or 9.0 In my honest opinion it is the best linux distro out there, since Novell's purchase.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts