Which linux distribution should I choose?

• pontypool
  • pontypool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Few people have reccomended fedora 4 , but I have never used linux before so I don't know what to expect let alone which I would prefer, I think redhat aren't supported anymore right? here are all the versions I thinkhttp://www.linuxiso.org/

Do I install my choosen version on the same partition as windows or it's own?
Would be great if I could get a comparison chart and maybe a few suggestions first, too much downloading just to try them all out myself.

#btw what would I download? http://fedora.redhat.com/Download/ #
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fedora Core 4 is a good distro. are you just using it as a desktop? or for a server? or workstation? ? you may want to look in to suse, its pretty easy to use and manage thx to yast.
you would install linux to its own partition, so you'd need free space on your hard drive thats not partitioned by windows (as windows will partition with probably NTFS but plausibly FAT32 and linux doesn't use either of these filesystems).
what kind of processor do you have? you wouldn't download the ppc version. if you have an Athlon 64 then you'd download the x86_64 version. otherwise you'll probably need the i386 version. if you dont know what your cpu is go to start, right click on My Computer and go to properties and it will tell you towards the bottom of the window that appears.
  • pontypool
  • pontypool

Post 3+ Months Ago

By a workstation do you mean a home network? There are 2 computers that share files on my home network, sometimes 3 (wirless router connects my laptop) don't know what you mean by a server? like hosting files for people to get? Basically I was just looking into a replacement for windows xp pro.
Btw my processor is 64 bit, to be exact its a venice core 3200 64 bit , ive held out getting win xp 64 bit because I heard it's very incompatible .. is this the case for the 64 bit linux?
Hmm disc 1,2,3 and 4 show twice, but according to the faq I don't need the top 4 files, so why are they there? http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/f ... 86_64/iso/
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

they are there to confuse you. lol anything with srpm in the name is unnecessary by you. i agree with the win xp 64 statement, i once installed it. for about 3 hours. after i was done hating it i reinstalled FC4. lol and theres no comparison between xp & linux, the 64 bit support in linux is rather tremendous. almost all of the software thats available for the 32 bit versions of the distro is available for the 64 bit version of the distro.
  • pontypool
  • pontypool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Think ill definately go for the 64 bit version, just dont know which distribution yet : )
hopefully encodin movies is a lot faster on the 64 bit platform.
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

well seeing as your new to linux yes fedora seems to be what everyone recommends for beginners. wouldnt know i never used it. i started with mandrake (now mandriva) and didnt learn crap. it wasnt till i tried debian (sarge) that i learned a bunch. has apt (very great package mangement system which in short manages your programs and stuff) which from what i understand is similar to yast (dont know the differences never used yast but yast is what fedora uses). but anyway ubuntu i would ultimately recomend since its built off debian and is very easy to use. so i would say try fedora or ubuntu. dont like one try the other.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enjoi_Panda_Man wrote:
... which from what i understand is similar to yast (dont know the differences never used yast but yast is what fedora uses)...

did you not read my post? lol Fedora does not use YaST. suse uses yast. fedora uses yum (at least the 64 bit version does), apt works great for the 32 bit version of fedora but with the 64 bit version, it has both 64 and 32 bit versions of programs which confuses the hell out of apt so it thinks that those packages shouldn't be there and tries to delete half of your os :) lol but yum doesn't do a bad job with FC4 x86_64, it just doesn't have the gui interface that apt does (synaptic, wonderful program). it has yumex which is comparable, but just not quite there.
although the weird thing is i emailed the current maker of synaptic and he said that it should work fine on the 64 bit version of Fedora. *shrug*
  • pontypool
  • pontypool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gonna create a partition for linux now, what size / file system is good? partition magic has several linux file systems here.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have half of my hard drive (80GB) partitioned for linux. but i'd say at least 20GB. how big is your hard drive?
as for the filesystem, that somewhat depends on the distro your going to install. kinda. you dont really need to partition the free space b/c when you go to install linux, its just going to format the partition anyways so formatting it now isn't going to make any difference. at least i dont think it would. but if you have the choice, you'd wanna go for ext3.
  • pontypool
  • pontypool

Post 3+ Months Ago

it's 250 gig but I only have 105 free, do I create it as primary or logical?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

primary if you can. but the most primary partitions you can have is 3, so after creating it when you install linux it will be modified as the os needs.

so then i'd do like 80GB? maybe 60?
  • pontypool
  • pontypool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm i'm a bit stuck on checking the sha1sum? of the images I downloaded, was there supposed to be a program to check them with? or do I do it in dos.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

there will b no program, you'll have to download a program that will create the sum for you to compare it to the original. check this page out: http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/down ... cker_info/
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

ah see i thought yast was yum. sorry didnt catch that when skiming through your post. wouldnt know since like i stated never used it before. im gonna give fedora a shot sometime to see why everyone recommends it.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol ic ic..you should. fedora is a good, clean, stable distro. and the installer is all graphical, its nice. i dont have a problem with text based, i just like the visuals more. lol
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

i guess graphicals are ok from time to time, as long as they let you know whats going on, verbose if you will (unlike windows). but i must say gentoo is so much fun to install.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
but i must say gentoo is so much fun to install.

i HATE gentoo's installation :evil: lol
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

its just fun putting in all the commands and having controll over everything. i do admit i hate emerging gnome. that takes FOREVER! ARG i hate it. i hate thinking about it cause im gonna install gentoo on this box sometime this week. i shudder at the thought of emerging gnome.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

mm...i've only installed gentoo once.
and it failed.
lol i'm considering trying it again though...i've advanced in my knowledge of linux since i first tried greatly so i don't think itd be as bad.
i think the most annoying part though is having to mount the disk and go through all of that shyte and yea i forgot what i was saying b/c people started talking to me. lol
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

well hey im quite familiar with the installation since ive done it multiple times so if you need any help im right here.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enjoi_Panda_Man wrote:
well hey im quite familiar with the installation since ive done it multiple times so if you need any help im right here.

kk, good to know.
  • hgaa
  • Born
  • Born
  • hgaa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suggest Ubuntu for starter its a very friendly distro has a lot of Needed applications and its very stable no bugs and freeze and non of that crap

u may learn more here [link]
  • scottdizzle
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: US

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm sorry for digging up an extremely old thread but I wanted to thank you for the link to that site. I used it to determine that I should be using Kubuntu or Fedora. It also suggested OpenSUSE but it's almost 5gb and I just don't know that I want a 5gb OS, sheesh.

Anyway, thanks again for the awesome link. Can't wait to get my laptop and try out some linux on it! Should be here tomorrow!
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

So did you order the laptop with linux preinstalled (like the dells with ubuntu) or are you doing it yourself?
  • pithagora
  • Born
  • Born
  • pithagora

Post 3+ Months Ago

For people who never used Linux before, i think it is better to use Ubuntu. It is frendly on instalation and prety user interface.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

The installers for most of them are getting pretty user friendly nowadays. I tried ubuntu once but am not a gnome person, but I suppose kubuntu would be alright. I'll defend redhat\fedora and slackware till death.
  • suncuigang
  • suncuigang

Post 3+ Months Ago

My suggestion is that you apply for a Linux ubutu CD for free.Here is the link
http://shipit.ubuntu.com/
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

try them all imo >.>
no one ever said you can only use one ;]