• wailedhero
  • Born
  • Born
  • wailedhero
  • Loc: Zahir Pir, Punjab, Pakistan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Assalam-o-Alaikum!
(Peace be upon You)

Hi all! I am new here and this is my first thread. There are so many linux destros out there. Its so difficult to chose any one for my system. Well I know you all would be Linux maniacs :lol: . I just want know that which Linux OS is best for my system. My system specifications are :

Intel Pentium4, 2.4 GGhz processor
AASUS P4V8X-MX-UAYGZ Motherboard
512 MB RAM
MSI TV @nywhere Plus Device
NVIDIA GeForce FX 6200 256 MB Video Card
56 k Smart Linker Dial UP Modem

Please tell me that which OS is best for me and and why ? Oh please don't ask that how do you want to use your Computer ? I am having Windows XP Pro and feeling fine in it. But then I read in a forumn that Windows OS use more memory than any other OS. I am living in a country where there is no law against piracy. Yes, it is no other than Pakistan. Thanks GOD! :twisted: :P I think we are lucky but there is no problem trying Linux. I am totally new to it. I have just read the Linux.org and know something about its history etc etc.

I want a Linux OS which is better than Windows XP.

Regards...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd suggest you try a couple different distro's and see which one feels most comfortable to you. There are a lot that have livecd's, which is basically an OS on a cd. You dont HAVE to install it, but you can, and the OS will run right off the cd. For the livecd's you should check out ubuntu and fedora. I also recommend you give OpenSuSE a try. Version 10.2 is the current stable version so that's the one you should use. Any of those distro's would all run fine on your system. Idky you mentioned piracy? Downloading and distributing linux is free and perfectly legal anywhere ;]
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

wailedhero wrote:
Please tell me that which OS is best for me and and why?

Oh please don't ask that how do you want to use your Computer?

How are we supposed to recommend which OS is best for you if we don't know what you want to use it for? That's like asking someone to make you the perfect sandwich without asking what kind of meat, cheese, and condiments you like best. One of the key aspects of what makes a distribution good (or any OS, for that matter) is how well suited it is for whatever particular tasks you want to perform with it.

wailedhero wrote:
I am having Windows XP Pro and feeling fine in it.

I'm not sure why you want to switch simply because you heard somewhere that Linux is better. Sure, parts of it are better, but is it better for you? Again, it depends what you want to do with it. For example, if you like to play lots of Windows-based games, then moving to Linux wouldn't help you a whole lot.

My recommendation: if you are fine with your Windows experience and only want to switch to try out Linux for a while, I'd still keep Windows around just in case you decide to go back. If, after using it for a while, you decide that Linux is the way you want to go, then you can rid yourself of Windows and settle with the Linux distribution of your choice.

Also, I use Fedora and have been very happy with it.
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: London (via the rest of the world)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try a PCLinux Live CD to get the feel of Linux, its the most popular.
If your happy with it, then install, but back your stuff up first, and learn how to do a proper dual boot.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

darksat wrote:
Try a PCLinux Live CD to get the feel of Linux, its the most popular.

wow. i'm in awe. i thought that was more judgment based than fact, but i just checked and pclin actually has pulled ahead of ubuntu.. i'm surprised.

altho i haven't used it myself, i've had some interaction with the creators of the distro and that interaction alone has deterred my usage >.<

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts