Which Linux would be best for my plans?

• NRJ
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

First of all I am very new to Linux.

But my plans would be to run it as a security firewall and extra for my other 2 pcs.

I got broadband internet. Not sure which one to connect directly to modem, the linux or router. If i put router first. I will need 3 nic cards for the linux system. Linux and router will run as extra security to internet etc... for my other 2 PCs with Windows on them. The OS on those 2 pcs will be XP, 2000, and 2003 and Vista (multiple boot). It is those 2 PCs i am trying to protect by adding an extra Linux system in front of them.

So what would be the best Linux to do that job? And don't forget I am still a newbie with Linux (well I have tryed a few linux system in the past, but never for security purpose).

Another thing. Both PCs (with windows) will have a shared mail server so they can read/write/receive mail from the same accounts. Would the 3rd pc with Linux on it, be better to handle the mail server?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have an amazing choice.. any linux can be made to do the job you want.

There are some specialized rather minimal installations that should save you some time. see for instance..

http://ipcop.org/index.php

http://www.smoothwall.org/

http://www.coyotelinux.com/products.php?Product=coyote

You can ask google your question and get Results 1 - 10 of about 2,230,000 for linux firewall distro.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd go with Gentoo and then follow the IP Masquerade Howto. This will give you a good start on understanding Linux firewalling as well as a halfway decent firewall script to build onto later.
  • X3ndou
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whoa, yeah man, start him off with Gentoo, okay. That's like putting a baby in a drag racer.

The best way to do this is to just make the Linux box the router. You can use one of those distros Janrocks linked to for that.

If you'd rather put the linux box behind the router, set it up with Ubuntu server or Debian. Ubuntu and Debian are at least a bit easier than Gentoo.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, if the baby can read directions, and driving a drag racer consisted of typing what you see, sure.

The idea is to learn how firewalls work, not just throw something premade into your network and hope for the best.

I certainly don't see how Debian is better than Gentoo for a newbie, especially considering the level of documentation available for Gentoo like this.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would have to agree with this on the subject. aside from the 2 dvd download for debian compared to a (~120?)MB download for gentoo, when all you do is type what it tells you its pretty easy to get to a command line. getting a desktop compiled and working is another story (at least in my case which i've posted TONS about >.<), but you dont need a gui on a firewall :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts