Why is browser asking me to download a PHP file?

• artcoder
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is bizzare.

I'm navigating around a site and it appears to run very slow. I'm afraid it is going to time out. And all of a sudden, my Firefox browser pops up dialog saying "Do you want to open or save to disk?" and it was a PHP file. I have never encounter a browser asking me to save a PHP file to my disk before. So I save PHP file to desktop and when I looked at it, it was empty with zero bytes. If I refresh this page, the page display as normal. It is an intermitten problem.

First, have anyone seen this before?

Second, what is wrong with this server? Is htaccess misconfigured?
I know this is a PHP application running on Linux shared webhosting.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post the URL of the site so we can see what's happening.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm not sure why it does it, i've had similar circumstances occur. no need to download the page, just refresh (as you did) and it should come up. its not server specific, i've had it happen with various sites including myspace.. it may be that the server has too much traffic and it returns an empty page which the browser can't figure out how to interpret so it decides its a file you should download. ? just a guess.. lol
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

Seen it myself as well.. Occasionally it's a virus that has been injected into the templates. The file will attempt to re-direct you to another site to download it's payload. I think IE is more vulnerable to this kind of attack.

There was one of those circulating over the MSN chat networks a couple of weeks ago from exploited bot machines. Asked a personal question purporting to be from a person on your friends list, click the link and the exact same thing came up.. "do you want to run or save file" Index.php. I downloaded one just out of interest (bad linux habit) and it turned out to be some windows executable, because it wanted to open with wine-safe. Opened it in a few programming editors and mostly it was garbage (apparently) with the MZ microsoft flags and the info that it was to be run on windows 32bit systems..

If it is a proper php file a php editor should open it ;)

Usually tho it's just a faulty or slow page as stated earlier.
  • artcoder
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks. Interesting thoughts. In my case, it seems to be is a proper PHP file with the servers running too slow or overloaded.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts