Wierd Wireless Issue on Ubuntu

• Code_alchemist
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Code_alchemist
  • Loc: Manchester

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, i just installed Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron 32 bit.

I have a TL-W321G USB wireless adaptor.

Ubuntu recognises it, and uses it and even says its connected to the router...

But herein lies the problem:

When i load up firefox, NOTHING loads up on the internet, when i try to access the router via the default gateway, nothing shows up. No internet-enabled programs connect either.

What could be causing this?

*I'm looking at your Anarchy you little guru you lol*
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd check and make sure you've got an ip address, but that probably isn't the problem if it is successfully connecting to the access point. Maybe something funny with dns?
  • Code_alchemist
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Code_alchemist

Post 3+ Months Ago

The router does not seem to have acknowledged the computers connection, so it may not actually be connected properly, the DNS fields have filled themselves out as:

192.168.1.254 - The correct Default gateway

This is what my router is saying aout the last connection attempt:

Be aware that 79.67.47.189 is my linux PC's set IP.

FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 172.207.253.244 Dst ip: 79.67.47.189 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Host Unreacheable

It seems to me that the wireless adaptor is sending but not receiving Am i right? And if so then is it possible to fix this?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

So 79.67.47.189 is a static IP assigned to the computer? If so, that explains a lot. That is a totally different subnet from the gateway 192.168.1.254, so if your access point has a dhcp server enabled, set your computers nic to use dhcp and then connect to the access point as usual. If that static IP is the one assigned by your service provider, your modem will get that address, and the wireless router should translate the private ip addresses into that assigned public IP (that is NAT, or network address translation).
  • Code_alchemist
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Code_alchemist

Post 3+ Months Ago

it is a static IP i designated myself to this MAC address for hosting servers without uPnP or port forwarding.

and DHCP just wont work either... its very unstable, sometimes the router will know its connected but still not give it access (even though it says it is) then loses signal. its as though ubuntu is having trouble with the adaptor itself even though its meant to be one of the only TP-Link apaptors compaitlbe with ubuntu.

Im thinking of switching while i build my own linux distro... what do you tink i should use instead of ubuntu?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not a real big fan of ubuntu, I like fedora and slackware, but there are hundreds of distributions out there for you to play with and choose a favorite.

So you're using a laptop as a server over a wireless lan and having it available to the internet? That doesn't seem like the best idea to me. People do use laptops as LAMP servers all the time, but usually only for a test environment for their websites before they upload them to their real web server. I think that would be the first thing I'd do is reconsider my server, then put it on a faster and more reliable wired network.

Usually, for servers available to the internet, they assign the static IP to an external interface on a router, then use network address translation to take (for example) anything on port 80 at this static IP to this server on the internal network with a 192.168.x.x subnet or something like that. That way you can have multiple servers all sharing the same IP, like a web server, an ftp server, a directory services authentication server, and other stuff like that because those things all use different ports.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts