Windows guy, need help on linux pick..

• nero
  • Student
  • Student
  • nero

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have an old dell P3 that i just want to run a web server and maybe a teamspeak server off of, nothing else. i am getting quite ticked as windows keeps messing up in the process of installation, so i thaught i might try linux as i heard it was good for old comps. What distro would be best to just run a web server off of? i need something easy to work with cause i have never used it, and free. thx.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Generally, I think the consensus is Mandrake has the easiest install for the core OS.
Of course, you can always do an install of Knoppix (or Freesbie), which really would be the most simple, as it just copies across the live filesystem, more or less.

The problem is, with an open-ended question like that you will undoubtedly get a different answer with every response. Everyone has a favorite distribution, which of course is easy for them, since that is what they use. :)

Speaking objectively, I think mandrake is the easiest to install though. If I were all about what I like, I would direct you to FreeBSD -- but that is going to be a bit more challenging for the install. :)

Course, installing software is easier.... :) That's another story.

Cheers, and best of luck.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

idk.. i found the install for Xandros 3.0 to be easier then Mandrake and Windows, lol. theres like all of 4 steps to it or something like that.. but i had a problem where it would stop installing at 90% b/c i had a web cam and ti-graph link plugged into my usb ports. however once i figured out that was the problem everything went smooth.. and Xandros is supposedly the most "Windows like" linux OS. which i've found to be pretty much on par.. however, for me it was too limited as i was accustomed to using Fedora Core 3.

however, i still have yet to try out a *BSD.. i have FreeBSD burned tho.. 8) so i'm on my way.. lol

on a side note, i had the same items in my usb ports when i installed mandrake and the install went fine, but then as it was booting - it'd get stuck at "checking for new hardware..." lol
  • cyber_craft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

ReadHat's Anaconda Install program is really easy use I think the hardest thing might be the partition part  of a drive for a newbi. But thats just me talking...lol
  • cyber_craft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

RedHat's Anaconda Install program is really easy use I think the hardest thing might be the partition part  of a drive for a newbi. But thats just me talking...lol
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found Fedora really easy to install, but Mandrake seems to have better community support for a newbie.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

i agree. fedora's installation process is rather n00b friendly.. however, fedora is made to use more of the "leading edge" software / technology / whatever so i dont think it would be a good choice for an older pc that your just looking to run a TS server.. but maybe? mm.. you may want to try Debian as i've found thats somewhat popular in the "web server" world, but i stumbled through the install for that and i was somewhat familiar with linux..however, i've learned much since then. but i've also found that actually doing things is the easiest way to learn when it comes to linux.. the worst part about Debian is it doens't install a desktop by default.. (and its 9 CD'S!!!) but Mandrake 9.2 would probably suit your needs well. you can find out what the system requirements are here: http://www.lincproject.org/toolkit/cos_ ... 34750b2c83
and links for downloads of the iso's here: http://www.linuxcompatible.org/download.php?det=35

good luck :) let us know how things go

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts