Xandros

• david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is anybody using xandros desktop home ed. premium?
It states it can run some windows programs, but is this true for games?

I'm kinda getting sick of windows and all of the problems, just looking for a better solution.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

david murphy wrote:
It states it can run some windows programs, but is this true for games?

Most likely not. People have varied success running Windows games through WINE on Linux systems. Try getting games designed for Linux rather than trying to run an application that was designed for a different OS.

You can start here: http://www.linuxgames.com/
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

the windows programs it can run claims so because it comes with Codeweavers Crossover Office.
it runs applications such as adobe photoshop, macromedia dreamweaver, microsoft office, etc.
but as previously stated, you should keep windows games in windows :]
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess another question would be does it have the same errors the windows encounters?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

what do you mean? errors?
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
what do you mean? errors?

microsoft errors, when IE has to shut down for no reason. Plus all of the reported errors (mainly runtime) that get sent out with no results. Windows just seems to shut down every once in a while and the machine is clean of viruses.
I have reformatted twice so far and still get the same. Also it's not just mine I know others that this has happend to. It even happens on our school's network once in a while.

The add also claims that it doesn't have as many errors or problems.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, thats true. sometimes software does have errors, but i've seen many more errors occurring in windows than i have in linux. which is kind of surprising considering things are more robot-capable in windows ^_^
but also, usually if theres an error with something in linux you can fix it. somehow. in windows, pretty much if theres an error with something your choices are: live with it, reinstall and see if that works. if it doesn't, reinstall windows. lol IMHO thats not a very good way of fixing things.. and i'll admit, every once in a while there'll be something that you've messed up so horribly in linux that it is just easier to reinstall, but as long as you dont mess with things that you shouldn't thats not a very likely scenario.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm interested in programming would it be nessecary to know both OS's.
Is one better than the other?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

programming in what language? the base languages dont differ between OS's but when you start going GUI then its a much wider gap. and theres a lot more programming languages easily available for programming in linux.
linux would be better if you wanted to program in GTK but windows would be better if you wanted to make a game using directx. it all depends on what you want to do.

on another note, personally i wouldn't use xandros for programming. its a good windows-linux transition OS, but it just doesn't appeal to me as a programming environment. i prefer Fedora :]
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
personally i wouldn't use xandros for programming. its a good windows-linux transition OS, but it just doesn't appeal to me as a programming environment. i prefer Fedora :]

Second that!

If you want to develop applications for Linux, Windows and Mac, look into the qt libraries. Also, if you're trying to learn application development, Linux is certainly the way to go, if for no other reason than that you can view the actual source of just about anything you have on there. Once you have the basics down, you can then decide if you want to write for one particular OS or not.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've only got one class under my belt, I'm not sure which direction I want to take yet. I'm not sure I would want to go into game programming. SQL is in my future with the option to take perl. I'm currently finishing VB.NET, will it work with Xandros. I just have the disks and key, it does state it is for windows.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

it appears to be so... weird. i was completely unaware.
http://www.theserverside.net/news/threa ... d_id=33023

but VB is known for its speed. its slow speed. lol i'd keep learning if i were you :] sql and perl are easier IMHO to install in linux than in windows. especially since you can install those when you install the OS so you dont have to do a post installation of it. you can just update the system to get the newest version that distro has available :]
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know VB is slow and there isn't much work for it in our area, but it is required for the degree. My teacher told me that most programming languages are similar. The only thing is my classmates aren't as quick to learn(or take it seriously, most want to be in networking) as I am and we don't get as much accomplished as the teacher would like. I'm a little afraid that I'll just be mediocre or not as refined.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

just keep practicing and think of things that would be fun to make a program for, and then do it. or ask a friend for a suggestion. i did that and the response was to make a temperature converter so i did. it could convert between fahrenheit, kelvin and celsius. i then went on to write the exact same thing using C/Win32 API. :] it was fun...and i learned a little bit at the same time. i was also curious to make something to tell the temperature that it feels like based on a given amount of wind because i saw the formula on a chart in the math teachers office at my college. i also like to program things that i'm not sure / dont know how to do. that way you can expand your programming abilities too.
but yea, programming in VB is one of the possible required's for the C/Java programming AAS at my college which i'm getting before the 4 yr CIS degree. so is advanced VB. but i suggest you learn java...as long as you dont use any OS specific programming a program you write in java should run / work exactly the same on any platform :] hence the beauty of it.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

The school has dropped java, are there any self teaching books out there?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

for my C/C++ programming class we had a book called, "C How to Program" and it had 3 sections. C, C++, and Java. it was a pretty good book and i think it would be pretty good for a self learner..
other than that i dont know, i dont recall having an actual book for my java class. i think we just had notes and examples from the instructor. it was pretty easy though..

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts