Your advice please

• Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Soy Cubano, no puedo ser diferent!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello ozzu members...
I was wondering if any of you guys could tell me which is the best(in your opinion) linux operation system out there, in terms of hardware and software compability and network/server friendly( I dont know if Im making any sense in this last one). Also if you could be kind enough to show me a site where can I download it or buy it?

thank you
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want a distro that has a good record of hardware compatibility i would go for Kanotix, Thats what i used as my desktop/server.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

My *opinion* (and rest assured, everyone will offer a different one based upon their own party-lines) greatly depends on what you intend to do with it.

I don't mean to sound wishy-washy, but requirements vary.

If you intend to run business-class enterprise applications or customer base I recommend an enterprise class of Linux. (SLES or RHEL come to mind.)
The reasons; fewer kernel modifications, smaller build team (for more compact programming effort), designed for the enterprise -- not the pimply-faced hacker.
The above also holds true if you wish to learn in hopes of acquiring newer (and presumably better) employment. Large companies are being led in that general direction; mid-size corporations will follow. Ergo, picking up the specifics of that particular class will serve to provide you with employable insight.

If this is just to house home-grown apps and/or internet driven services, than any will suffice. I would lean towards SuSe or Gentoo on the server and Red Hat/Gentoo on the desktop.

But hey, I still prefer FreeBSD Unix. :) So what do I know.
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for the reply.
Daemonguy, my intentions with Linux is for "home-grown apps and/or internet driven services" as you said and to learn a little bit more about the Linux OS, who knows maybe someday I may include it in my resume :wink: .... so what would be your advice, which distro out of the five you gave should I choose?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Memam, Let me see if I got this right, you dont only use this distro as your Desktop, but as your server too right?

thank you
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't use it as a server in any large scale way, just a place for some friends to have email accounts, ftp accounts, homepages and shell accounts. I also host my IRC logbot from it and use it for most of my testing.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

SuSE is nice if you dual boot with xp. it comes on the default install with wine and NTFS read capabilities and getting mp3 support isn't much of a task. Since OpenSuSE its looking better too.
Fedora Core 5 test 2 looks wonderful :D everything from the installer to the updated boot / logon screen are new and fresh looking. however, i have yet to get NTFS readability nor have i been able to get mp3's to play so i'm using my 450MHz P3 that i got on ebay for $10 to play songs while i'm in FC5. however, it is still in the testing phase and i'm sure when the general release comes out, things will work. lol also worth noting, NTFS read and mp3 playability are fully functional in Fedora Core 4 which is what you're going to get if you go to http://fedora.redhat.com/download and download the iso's. you just have to install the rpm from http://linux-ntfs.org and mp3's are covered on fedorafaq. up2date still comes installed with FC4 and i believe yum is broken but getting everything working (including java / flash / ati or nvidia drivers) is covered at http://www.fedorafaq.org so you're not left in the dark :] and then if you still have a problem that you can't figure it out, you could always post here or at http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/
also - there is an extreme lack of update sources for FC5 test 2. there's plenty for FC4 and there will be more when the distro has the general release, but i want it noooow ^_^ lol and it seems theres more sources for the beta of suse..
on to suse..suse has yast. yast is a nice little utility for system administration whether its configuring the boot loader, hardware, or updating / installing new packages. it pretty much does it all. only annoying thing for packages is that you have to add installation sources and disable the default (which is your install rom(s)). personally i have the suse 10.1 beta installed along with FC5 test 2 and Win XP Pro. i'm more comfortable in fedora, but not being able to access my windows files without creating a FAT32 partition and not being able to listen to my music is killing me :]

hope this helps. time for sleep...i have a test in German tomorrow..
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

alright... thanks for your advice Anarchy..
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

as anarchy stated fedora core 4 is pretty good. great for beginners. i myself would recommend ubuntu or debian to beginners. ive used debian for quite sometime and ive found it quite easy to use. similar to fedora's yumex and suse's yast, debian and ubuntu have apt which is a nice app for managing all your packages on your system. since you are new to linux i would say ubuntu cause its built off debian and even more easier and user friendly than debian.

http://www.debian.org
for debian

http://www.ubuntu.com
for ubuntu
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

eh, every time i've installed ubuntu it got caught in some sort of infinite loop after the initial installation after it rebooted and was updating. no clue why...it could be my hardware doesn't agree with some part of it but i just hit the reset button, reboot and then i can login.
they do make apt for fedora core 4. i agree, its a nice package management system and synaptic is a great GUI for it. i would be using that now if it was available, lol. and its not difficult to install. once you get to the desktop, just go to the console, login as root and do a 'yum install apt' and you're done. then for synaptic, 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get install synaptic' and voila :] apt is yours. they also have apt4rpm for suse which i haven't used much.
but really i wasn't all that impressed with ubuntu. it felt like i was using fedora except not. not being able to login to a terminal as root was weird...having to type 'sudo' before any root commands was annoying.. i'm not exactly a fan of the whole "brown is our theme and we love it :)". they make it work..but why brown? lol ...and the bootloader, its just ugly. lol...call me superficial, but i like eye candy ^_^ i was also having problems getting mp3 support for 5.10 and i couldn't get enlightenment to install. FC5 doesn't have support for enlightenment, but its only on test 2 so i'm not too worried about that, and i do have enlightenment installed in suse right now :) one last thing, the installer for ubuntu. its been unkind to me and its ugly. i sound like a 3rd grader, but seriously...hahaha
anyways, thats all :]

my $0.02
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

ha ha well i can see why you dont like it. i admit i havent used ubuntu thoroughly. debian is the one ive most used. i love debian its very easy to work with its just that i feel ubuntu is more user friendly. from what ive used it anyway. but yeah only thing i dont like about debian is that by default its kernel 2.4. but other than that its cool. as long as you know how to upgrade the kernel. if you dont then it shouldnt matter. anyway im gonna have to stick with gentoo for now though i love it.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea, the one time that i tried to install debian it was like the second time i'd ever installed a linux operating system and the first one was suse 9.1, lol so i was pretty clueless about what i was supposed to do and i never actually made it to the desktop. lol i wouldn't really say its n00b friendly in any way.
gentoo has been pushing my buttons...it was trying to download gtk+-2.6-smoothscroll-r5.patch but yet, the file was already in /usr/portage/distfiles. so after running around like a chicken with my head cut off for about half an hour to an hour, i downloaded a bzipped file of it to my other computer, decompressed and uploaded that file to an angelfire site i have, and then downloaded that file with links into my distfiles folder and for some reason that did the trick so i'm hoping when i get home from my java programming class, it will be all good with downloading / compiling gnome. :( :( i need a desktop. hahah
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

ugh gnome *shudders*. the reason you probably didnt get to the desktop with debian was probably because it might of been debian woody. that one is terrible i myself couldnt get to the desktop. and like you it was the second time installing a linux operating system (first was mandrake 9.1 and i hated it which is why i was trying to switch). now that i know more i believe it had to do with the X11 configuration crap. but anyway you should give debian sarge a shot. i believe sarge has become the default distro. very nice only thing is like stated before its kernel version 2.4
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

idk what the designation is, but i still have the disks. lol its v3.0, theres 7 disks and 2 update disks. i burned them on 12/29/04, lol

aww, i<3gnome. lol

but yea...we'll see about trying debian again....is it another 9 disks? lol b/c thats just nuts.
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys, thank you for everything, I have decided to try Suse 10.1 beta 2 ( at least thats what I think is call..lol)
Now I have downloaded the ISO file... and I have copied to a disk... but it doesnt seem to work... Is there something Im missing? Am I suppose to do something else with that ISO file?

thank you
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

shadow make sure you burn the iso as an image with an app like alcohol 120% or nero then try booting off it.

oh and anarchy just get the net install. its small with only enough to get you a basic system up and then it will apt-get only the packages you want. getting all the x stuff does take a bit of time but nothing compared to when emerging gnome on gentoo. and dont get me wrong i like gnome i just loath emerging it.
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

thank you for your answer Panda_Man.... I have an addicional question can this be done with RecordNow Plus?...

again thank you
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

from what i've read you should be able to burn it with recordnow. just instead of making like a data disk, there should be some option to record a disk image and thats what you want to do.
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

and if all else fails just use alcohol 120%'s trial. its a great app hell its even worth buying.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enjoi_Panda_Man wrote:
and if all else fails just use alcohol 120%'s trial. its a great app hell its even worth buying.

i'd agree with that statement. although its too bad you can't get k3b for windows.. ^_^ i love the ease it takes to burn iso's with that. my first time doing so i was quite pleased.
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok.. I have image the files and install linux. That Suse looks really nice. Only problem is that I cant find the Linksys wireless usb adapter driver that supports Suse anywhere and my sound card doesnt seem to be supported by suse either... but that is not big deal I can live with that... other than that the Suse beta 2 looks awesome. Thanks for your help guys...

ohh by the way I have a simple question.. I dont know much about partitions, I only know the basics, etc. but here is my question.

can Intall Linux in a hard drive that has XP on it... For example I have a laptop, and Im using the whole hard drive is under the XP partition, Would it be possible for me to install Linux without having to deleted XP first?... I hope I make some sense.

Thank you.
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you only have one big partition with xp on it. you're gonna have to back up the important stuff and delete partition and remake for example an ntfs partition for xp thats takes up half of the harddrive then leave the rest as raw data for whatever linux you want to install.
so yeah your out of luck there but it is very possible to have a harddrive share multiple OS. and you can have it set to where you can choose what OS you want to boot up on boot. if you are interesting in doing such a thing just ask away.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

if there was a good portion of free space on the hard drive you could also opt to resize the partition using a program like partition magic or i believe qtparted can resize partitions. qtparted comes on the mepis cd (it boots up as a livecd and then has the option to install it from there, but i think you could just use qtparted from the livecd..) and then theres other iso's you can get with qtparted on it.. here: http://www.thefreecountry.org/utilities ... tors.shtml

but with resizing a partition, there is the possibility that it could become completely corrupted and you'd have to reinstall everything. so backup what you want before trying anything with modifying your partition.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts