1st website, need help!

• Shamen74
  • Born
  • Born
  • Shamen74

Post 3+ Months Ago

Greets all!
I'm just starting out on my 1st site, am using Microsoft Office Live and am having issues trying to get it to do what I need it to do. I'm writing an ebook, creating a forum, and providing a "useful links" page. I want to charge $10 for the initial membership fee and $5 after the 1st year every year after. My 1st problem is I can't get the navigation bar off my advertising page! I certainly don't want people to have access to the entire site before purchasing so any idea on how to remove it? :hmm: My next issue would be I have no idea how to create a payment page that takes paypal and/or credit card payments and sends the purchaser a confirmation email with username and password info. and the third issue I have is how do I restrict my site to members only? any/all help would be appreciated, as you can tell, I have ALOT of work to do! :shock:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

For your issue with regards to Paypal and accepting payments, please read this page:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... ry-outside

Basically Paypal does the work for you to create the payment page. You would just link to it. In a nutshell once a member pays you would add them to your other system to give them access to your website. Of course all of this could be automated using their IPN (instant payment notification) which scripts could handle, however, I would classify that as advanced work. You may find that hiring a web designer / programmer would be easier for you. However, if you can just do it manually that is something that you can probably achieve yourself if you take the time to read and learn some things.

To actually restrict your website so that members do not have access to other content there are more than one way to do this. You could either use some kind of members based script which you can find through Google, or if you are using an Apache webserver you could modify your .htaccess files to restrict certain directories from having access unless you have the correct username and password. I actually have a very old tutorial on this here:

http://www.unmelted.com/password-protec ... orial.html

With your other problem and removing the navigation, you would probably need to edit that page directly to remove that.
  • flash8515
  • Born
  • Born
  • flash8515

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am new to website building. I looked at a bunch of different places to help me build one. I found a couple that were ok but didn’t let me really do what I wanted. I needed to post music and videos but it wouldn’t let me customize it the way I wanted. I started using Yahoo sitebuilder and it worked great. I also found a website called remote web builder and they showed me stuff about sitebuilder that blew me away. There is really nothing you can’t do with sitebuilder.

You can ad everything from paypal buttons to search buttons.

The guy at remote web builder logged onto my computer and showed me how to use sitebuilder, not just with the templates provided, but from scratch. I was kind of leery about someone logging onto my computer but he only went into the sitebuilder program and a couple places on the internet that had cool stuff to ad to my webpages.

Hope this helps and goodluck

Tom
  • Gevorro

Post 3+ Months Ago

try to change it for another and better soft
  • Aidenchappel
  • Born
  • Born
  • Aidenchappel

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can understand your problem. Because even I was running out with the same issue of what you are having now. But i got help from vanetechnologies. com .Its a website developing and designing company.I really had a good time with them which is worth. My problem was solved easily. Hope they can help you out.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts