301 redirect on a server without .htaccess or scripting??

• petgraveyard
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi!

I have a site on a server that I've had for many years. It has a subdomain tied to that server that I can't move or anything. I want to move the whole site to my own host with a new domain...but to do that properly, I need to do a 301 redirect.

How can I do a 301 redirect on the subdomain site? I cannot make or edit any .htaccess files. I also have no server-side scripting. The only scripting I have is Javascript, which won't work.

ANY help or explanations you can give me are very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
  • Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Technically, you don't have JavaScript either - your visitors do. It's client-side, after all. But anyway...

Without server-side scripting or editing .htaccess, there really is no good way to create a redirect. You can do it using Javascript or HTML, but neither of these is the best method. If you have to, the HTTP method is:
Code: [ Select ]
<meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="0; url=http://yoursite.com/">

That will automatically redirect your visitors - if you want the page to wait a few seconds before automatically redirecting, simply change "content" from zero to the number of seconds you want it to wait.

HOWEVER: I believe that search engines generally don't like HTTP or JavaScript redirects, and such redirect methods can ruin your standing with them, so I wouldn't recommend using that. I would just make a simple page saying that your site had moved, and include a link to the new site.
  • petgraveyard
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I heard Google was listening to Meta Refreshes now though?

Check this out: http://sebastians-pamphlets.com/google- ... -redirect/

You think that's legit or just nonsense?

EDIT:
Also, if I do a meta-refresh, you think I should do it for every page that I had or just the index?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hob Bramble wrote:
I would just make a simple page saying that your site had moved, and include a link to the new site.

I'm inclined to agree with Hob here. Change your index to inform visitors that your site has moved, and provide a link to the new site. Include a meta tag that will redirect to the new site after, say, 10 seconds or so, so that visitors have enough time to read what's on the page.
  • petgraveyard
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you everybody for your help! I ended up just going with the consensus and putting up a "moved" page. We'll see how it goes!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts