800x600 or 1024x768?

• Lost HUnter
  • Lost HUnter

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am building a computer hardware portal and I need advice about resolution.
I'm thinking about changing layout from 800x600 to 1024x768.
How many people are still using 800x600, is it worth having my site on 800x600?
I really can't decide, so some suggestions would be nice...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• draganta
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

when i check my stats, most of my visitors uses 1024x768 resolution. its very seldom to see 800 x 600.
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: BKNY

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's no hard-set rules about it... kinda depends on your audience.

Some people definitely still use 800x600... heck, 20% of the visitors to w3schools used 800x600 last month... and you're talking about a pretty savvy selection of people in that case.

Further, you shouldn't design your site to be 800x600 (or 1024x768, if you decide to go bigger) because that doesn't allow for the toolbars, scrollbars, etc. on the browser.

for instance, if you're designing for an audience that has 800x600 screens, i'd advise not to go wider than 760px. height is, obviously, not that big a deal.

peace and blessings
  • biossss
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Latvia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Both I think.... as for 800*600 so as for 1024*768!

If you make page only for one resolution, you can lose your potential clients or site users :)
  • DIYweb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • DIYweb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Certainly it depends on the audience, but I usually shoot for a design that adjusts and looks good on 800x600. I often go about 780 wide and depending on my background and header etc. have it adjust to fill the screen.

The visitors to most of my sites are viewing at higher than 800x600, though some are even less than that... which amazes me. Some even view the sites on their cell phones, pda's etc. which I can't imagine doing and won't ever care about, but...
  • AMysticWeb
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your site is viewable in 800x600 browser you may increase the your customer/visitor base.

Even if only 20-25% of users are at 800x600 that is still likely millions of people.
  • Skorpijon
  • Skorpijon
  • Loc: Lithuania>Birzai

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea,But the best is 2 make Index page as Big nice Photo Where ppl can choso what site they would like to see 800*600 or 1024*768~ or Default :}
But it sould be better to make template on 800*600 and do the (St...)[forgot that word] Moving navigation/menus / template.... :] as many sites do it...... (as i do)
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

juat make the site as a 100% screen size like this forum does
  • candydulfer
  • candydulfer

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd stick with old school 800 x 600 because a lot of people are buying cheap laptops from stores and the video cards are crappy so their resolutions isn't high. Another reason is from the factory, it may be set to 800 x 600 and the person that buys it may have no clue on how to change the resolution or even know what it will do or if it will hurt the computer. Some people that buy these computers are first timers so stay with old school for as long as you can. I still design my website for dial up audience so it loads up fast. It may be some time before dial up is wiped out, until then life will be easy breezy cover girl.
  • ckandes1
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ckandes1
  • Loc: Daytona Beach, FL (US)

Post 3+ Months Ago

candydulfer wrote:
I'd stick with old school 800 x 600 because a lot of people are buying cheap laptops from stores and the video cards are crappy so their resolutions isn't high. Another reason is from the factory, it may be set to 800 x 600 and the person that buys it may have no clue on how to change the resolution or even know what it will do or if it will hurt the computer. Some people that buy these computers are first timers so stay with old school for as long as you can. I still design my website for dial up audience so it loads up fast. It may be some time before dial up is wiped out, until then life will be easy breezy cover girl.

just as a sidenote, I'm using a cheap laptop right now and it's still 1024*768. the laptop is normally under $650; I got it on sale for $400 brand new. So even cheap laptops are now 1024*768.

Where can you check the stats to see what type of screens/internet your viewers are using?
  • DIYweb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • DIYweb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since most people are not viewing sites at a mere 800x600, it makes a lot more sense to use the 100% method than to make your site hardcoded to that tiny size.

I agree that quite a few people won't know how to change the resolution. Here is how.

My Computer
Control Panel
Display
Settings (Look under Screen resolution)

But while some smaller laptops may vary, most screens, especially those of desktops will be defaulted to 1024x768.

One of my clients has his laptop set to 800x600, but it's just because he has a hard time reading it. I have to switch it to 1024 to use it, as I just can't fit what I need to see on the screen at that tiny resolution. Using multiple windows is just a nightmare otherwise.

Back in the days of Windows 98, the default was 800x600... but that has not been the case for a long time as they realized with XP that it was time to step it up.
  • Vincent
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

a lot of educational places, like schools still have 800*600, so i would suggest having a 100% width that is compatable with 800*600, and also look good and properly done on both sizes, and sizes higher up
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I muchly prefer 1024x768, but my whole school seems to use 800x600 (damnit). You should make your website compatible for both by making a button that switches your width values to something smaller. Just a suggestion ;)
  • Vincent
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

with the button idea, it would probably be useless because you would need to make a whole different website, or at least a heap more coding when you could just have one size that is able to be stretched to any size it needs to be, starting with the default smallest, 800*600
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

draganta wrote:
when i check my stats, most of my visitors uses 1024x768 resolution. its very seldom to see 800 x 600.

Sory to put it here but how do you knwo the resolution of you visitors?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

tastysite wrote:
draganta wrote:

Sory to put it here but how do you knwo the resolution of you visitors?

One method is to use Google Analytics.
  • DIYweb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • DIYweb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any decent web stats program should be able to tell you the screen resolution of your visitors.

If your hosting account doesn't offer that, you can use a free service such as statcounter.com

The "System Stats" link is what you will use once you signup and install their little code snippet on the pages you want to monitor.
  • Devil_666
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Albany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very simple answer if you think that your visitors are young rather than old then 1024X768 is best and if its vice versa then 800X600 should be there....

Got my point...or not ?
  • gozames
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you choose 1024x768 this will be bad for visitors which uses 800x600 if you choose 800x600 this will be not nice for visitors which uses from 1024x768 to 1400x1050, but big role playing your content, at my sites I can't set 800x600, but how sad roarmeow some people definitely still use 800x600 i can give you some example from 51,485 visits i have got 5.16% of 800x600 and 46.60% of 1024x768.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, I work on 1680x1050 so all static websites look small in comparison to that ... and many of the stretched ones look empty ... I'd still make it for 1024x768 if it were me ... I just think 800x600 resolution is so old fashioned that very few people use it ...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts