•  
    scratch 800x600 and design for 1024x768

800x600 now old school?

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

While I was busy designing a new site, I was thinking to myself, is it really necessary to still cater for 800x600 resolution users ... or can I now switch to 1024x768 as the default? Then I would like to know, what is the widest I can go for a site to fit into 1024 safely ... (for 800x600 I always use 760px as my max-width ...) ... so what will I use for 1024 ... 984?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp ... here is why I vote for 800x600 still in ...
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

What you should do is monitor your own website and see what kind of resolutions are being used and adjust your website accordingly. According to my stats in the last month 2.1% of my visitors use 800x600 so I could safely code for higher resolutions and probably not have many complaints.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks that makes a lot of sense ...
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't designed a site for 800x600 in a loooooong time. 1024 has pretty much been the standard for a couple years according my stats. I'd say you're safe as well.
  • naphets66
  • Born
  • Born
  • naphets66

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am creating a Wordpress template and didn't even worry about 800x600. I guess it matters who you are creating the site for. I started with 1024 and made it look good with that resolution or anything bigger.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can usually get away with designing for 1024x768, & having people squishing that into an 800x600 screen if you make sure the navigation & other important elements don't get cut by overflow settings when the screen shrinks.
  • champi0n
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

800x600 has been out of style for a while... although there are sometimes noobs that like to design sites for 5,000 x 5,000 :\

scroll bars do = the suck tho
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your users are browsing on PCs then scrap 800*600 but bear in mind more and more people browse using other devices which may have even lower res. I often use my PDA and that runs at 300*300, fine if a site is at 800 but on some site where they assume everyone has a 52" widescreen display it can be a bit of a bummer (then again you can just style for hand-helds separately).
  • new_at_web
  • Born
  • Born
  • new_at_web
  • Loc: LUDHIANA,PUNJAB

Post 3+ Months Ago

according to me, the resolution of the site is depending upon the looks and the persons for whom the site is being created.
it really does not matter in the world of today as most of the persons use high resolution computers for the better looks.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah I'd say figure out what your users are using and built toward that target. For example I did some work for a large University where there were still a large number of technophobes running win95 at 640x480 with 16bit color. The user base was supposed to be tenured faculty so we had to grudgingly work with 800x600 as a high end baseline. Within a month of that project I did work for a design industry client who knew that the majority of their target audience worked in the motion design industry, usually running something like two monitors at a minimum of 1600x1200 and everyone would have been furious if we'd gone any less than 1024x768

moral of the story is know your users.

That said if your audience is mostly everyone (even though thats rarely the case) 1024x768 is getting pretty safe we usually pick 900 wide because its a nice round number that divides easily into columns and such
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

While looking at a computer set at 800x600 drives me absolutely nuts, I had to vote to keep designing for it.

The reason?

Every time I go to a client's home or office, they have their computers set to 800x600. While I could just go in and change it for them, I think it's safer to assume that there are a lot more people out there like them, statistics or no statistics.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts