About HTML 4.01 and XHTML

• allgoodpeople
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: here

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just a quick question about these two formats. My understanding is that HTML 4.01 is the current "official" code that is used for writing web pages, but that the W3C is moving to XHTML in the future, because it is compatible with XML (not entirely sure what XML is though). Is this an accurate understanding of these terms? I think not, since w3schools.com notes that XHTML has been approved by W3C in 2000. Does someone have a better understanding of these formats and their relationship to one another and the WWW as a whole?

Secondly, if XHTML is now an official standard, why would one learn the "older" standard of HTML 4.01? Wouldn't it make more sense to just jump straight to learning and writing with XHTML?

Thanks for any clarification you can offer!

Mark
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Saint Joseph, MO

Post 3+ Months Ago

HTML 4.1 is an SGML (Standard Generalized Markup Language) application conforming to International Standard ISO 8879, and is widely regarded as the standard publishing language of the World Wide Web. XHTML is a family of current and future document types and modules that extend html 4.1. XHTML is XML based and is compatible with both xml and html documents. XML is the shorthand name for Extensible Mark-up Language. Alot like HTML is short hand for hyper text mark-up language. Html is still used as the official standard of the www but is accompanied by xhtml. I hope this helps! I dont know what Im talkin about so dont listen to anything I just said..lol..j/k
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't really know anything about the first part, except that XML is used very commonly in places like LiveJournal...eh. But the second part: HTML 4.01 is still approved and still learned because an overwhelming part of the pages on the internet are written in it. Also, XHTML is JUST LIKE HTML, only with stricter formatting. So that's why they continue to teach and set standards for it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The other advantages of XHTML and XML with the fact that they are "extensible" means that the elements themselves can be modified or created at need. Here is a relatively good definition of what extensible means. It's helpful to undestand the term:

Quote:

In information technology, extensible describes something, such as a program, programming language, or protocol, that is designed so that users (or later designers) can extend its capabilities. Extensibility can be a primary reason for the system, as in the case of the Extensible Markup Language (XML), or it may be only a minor feature.
Approaches to extensibility include facilities (sometimes called hooks) for allowing users to insert their own program routines, the ability to define new data types, and the ability to define new formatting markup tags.
  • Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I knew what I was talking about...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Netmaster YOU did. My post was to add the definition of "extensible" for those who didn't know what it meant. Your post clearly describes the differences.
  • Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

yay! I finally got something right! lol.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts