About web graphics

• s][ren
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Lehigh Valley

Post 3+ Months Ago

So I am trying to develop some graphics for my website, and I am going for sort of an abstract kinda of watery maybe cloudy look. But I can't take my own pictures and edit them. Mostly this is directed toward Unflux, where do you get your graphics? like that whole water droplet thing and the dice?

Also, is it alright to use peoples photos and edit them? or is it copyright infringment? and if so, what is the best way to find graphics like that without going out and shooting your own pictures?

This would really help me :-)
Thanks
-Ted
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: NC, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

While I understand you intend this for Unflux...I figured I'd go ahead and speak for the masses on this one...

Most folks here either take the photo themselves and manipulate it as they wish; use stock photos; or create the image entirely on their own using rendering software or any kind of photo editing suite...

As far as Copyright, I'm not confident enough in that arena to answer you question. I'll leave that for someone w/ pertinate knowledge on the subject.
  • s][ren
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

nah its not just for Unflux, its for everyone, I just wanted to know if he took the photos himself.

Q. What are stock photos? are they like detailed clipart or something? lol

Thanks 8)
  • OriginNO
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: the Glass City (Hometown: the NO)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most photographers who publish their photos on the net do copyright their stuff so, yes it would be copyright infringment if you were to use them without express written consent from the owner of the photo and/or image you intend to use. It is possible to find stock photo sites with plenty of photos you can use free of charge and usually all they ask is you put a link to their site out of generocity. Back to copyright infringment. If you were to take a photo and manipulate it so that it is unrecognizable from the original the owner would have to prove in a court of law that it was created from their original photo. It is still illegal but they would have to prove it, thus also making it unethical.

For the type of image you want, it can easily be created without using a photo. If you dont figure yourself to be skilled enough to do it you might want to ask some of the other photoshop gurus in the digital arts forum if they would be willing to help you out with that. If you are willing to pay then I can surely provide you with all your graphic needs. :)

P.S.
If you are looking for stock photos go to the digital arts forum there is a thread there with links to many different stock photo sites.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://sxc.hu

Some are free for commercial use although some you need permission from the photographer.
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.bluevertigo.com.ar/

You will find more than you will ever need in there. It's a directory of links to stock photos, vector art, fonts, etc. Hope it helps. :D
  • s][ren
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow! thanks everyone, I was really stuck there :-)
-Ted

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts