adding a search box

• catskillgifts
  • Born
  • Born
  • catskillgifts
  • Loc: ny

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have searched and searched and am trying to find a place that maybe can show me in plain, good ole fashion html, how to create a search box for my website or where to find one to place on my website. can anyone help. looking desparately for any info on this. :oops: :(
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

With this search box, are you wanting it to do something too, like actually search your site for any keywords your users enter? To make a simple searchbox you use the following code:

Code: [ Select ]
<form method="get" action="yourCGIScriptTHatDoesTheWork.cgi">

<input type="text" size="50" name="searchBox"><br>
<input type="submit" value="Lets Search!">

</form>
  1. <form method="get" action="yourCGIScriptTHatDoesTheWork.cgi">
  2. <input type="text" size="50" name="searchBox"><br>
  3. <input type="submit" value="Lets Search!">
  4. </form>

That is all the basic code you need HTML wise to make the search box. Now to actually get it to do some searching that is a whole different scenario. You have to either write your own CGI script (could be in PERL, PHP, C, C++, Java, pick your poisen) or get it from someplace else that already has a pre-written script that would do the job that you need it to. This script would return the results of the search they made and show it in your browser.
  • catskillgifts
  • Born
  • Born
  • catskillgifts

Post 3+ Months Ago

thank you so far, but where would i find part two, or is part 2 something that i buy online. i have seen stuff and came across a Matts script archive which i am reading now, but can someone like me with less than a yr pc knowledge get into something like this. i know some html, and cut and copy, but am slightly, out of my league when it comes to cgi, perl, etc. ... sorry :oops:
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah for part 2 you will have to somehow install the program on your server. There is much information on the internet to help you with this if you want to pursue it. Another choice you have is to purchase a script from a company who will actually set it up for you on your server so you will not have to do it yourself. However if you want to learn more and figure out how to do it yourself there many tutorials online, and there are some PERL based tutorials here:

http://www.bigwebmaster.com/tutorial.html

The first tutorial on that page actually goes into how to install a basic Perl script on a Web server, which might lead you in the right direction.
  • catskillgifts
  • Born
  • Born
  • catskillgifts

Post 3+ Months Ago

thank you kindly

:)

since it will take me time to read and study this, for now, is there someplace/one that you can recommend that can do and upload the script till i understand and then i can maintain? really big time thank you

kevinnmaryann@stny.rr.com
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as scripts/websites you might check here for pre-made searching scripts:

http://www.hotscripts.com/Perl/Scripts_ ... Searching/

I am sure many of those companies/organizations will have resources to help you install the script or have someone do it for you.
  • catskillgifts
  • Born
  • Born
  • catskillgifts

Post 3+ Months Ago

thank you, this look real good :D

kevin

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts