IP Address lookup

• gulfofmex
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there a place where I can look-up someones IP address and have it show me their name and address? Preferably for free. Thanks

Paul
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not necessarily.

Any whois lookup like http://geektools.com/whois.php will tell you (in most cases) the name of the registered owner of the IP address but not necessarily the name of the person using it. If you are looking specifically for the owner of a website then whois will suit just fine.

If you are looking for just a person's IP from their internet service provider you won't find it.
  • gulfofmex
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

What I was looking for is how to find information on how to get a persons name and address, if I have their IP address.
  • gulfofmex
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have heard of people getting caught doing stuff by finding their IP address, but is that something only the cops can do, or is that not even possible anymore.
  • RockmanTV
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • RockmanTV

Post 3+ Months Ago

With an IP address you can usually track a person down to the ISP they're using. Coupling that with when they used that IP an ISP could tell you the information you're looking for... but I highly doubt you'd be able to get it from them.
  • gulfofmex
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

How could you get someone's ISP?
  • carolminty
  • Born
  • Born
  • carolminty

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, I saw one tool that is used to convert the IP address to country name.
  • Vampire
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

do a trace route, and you may find the isp, http://www.dnsstuff.com may work, if it doesnt then google it...
  • onlyican.com
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Hants, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

As RockmanTV said.

An IP address can be tracked as far down as the Internet Providor, by the public

The way Police Units (and other Law Enforcment) is run a reverse IP trace from the website. This then gets the Internet Providor. With that information, They can get a list from the Internet Providor to find out which account was using that IP.

And with the account, comes BIlling address, Account Holder, phone Number....

They used to be able to trace someones Phone Number via IP address, which gives an address but this was easy for anyone to do. So now its done the "complex" way

When you watch TV, and you see them type the IP address and get and Address in seconds it is BS

It can be done. But not in Seconds.
The system Runs through all the steps above. Which can take 20 mins.

To answer your question.

You can not get personal information of a users IP address any more
  • debby1morgan
  • Born
  • Born
  • debby1morgan

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can use this site. It's free and there are various options, including email header search--------------whatismyipaddress(.)com------------I know, too easy, right? It would seem so, but I actually busted someone just today by using this. Believe me, it works. And it explains how to use it and what each bit of information means. Good luck!
  • sstopblog
  • Born
  • Born
  • sstopblog

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have checked with both tools. It show different IP addresses for our blog
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

research networking practicals and see how these things work and you can find your way around them with counter measures :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts