Alternative to Javascript menu

• johneva
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • johneva

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all

My boss has asked me to take a look over his sons website that a web design company near him has made up for him, he has asked me to make some alterations and suggest improvements for the site.

One of the things I want to do is improve the navigation/menu currently it uses images and javascript, both not good for SEO and not a good idea in general.

Do you think the menu would be easy enough to do using CSS and then actual text instead of images with just using the image of the red blood dot showing on hover?

www. slaughter-house . co. uk

Still got loads of stuff to do to the site yet so dont worry thats not the end product.

Cheers
John
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

You would have to completely redo that area, but I do not think it would be too hard to make the changes. Basically you would put the links using a more semantic approach than they used such as in an unordered list:

HTML Code: [ Select ]
<div id="nav">
<ul>
<li><a href="/sh/hair">Hair</a></li>
<li><a href="/sh/tattoos">Tattoos</a></li>
<li><a href="/sh/studio">Photostudio</a></li>
<li><a href="/sh/events">Events</a></li>
</ul>
</div>
  1. <div id="nav">
  2. <ul>
  3. <li><a href="/sh/hair">Hair</a></li>
  4. <li><a href="/sh/tattoos">Tattoos</a></li>
  5. <li><a href="/sh/studio">Photostudio</a></li>
  6. <li><a href="/sh/events">Events</a></li>
  7. </ul>
  8. </div>

Then you would use CSS to format the links however you want, and you would apply a background attribute on each list element there with the image of the red blood dot positioned differently. I agree in the fact that would be much more SEO friendly then the way it is done now.
  • AdamC
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, look into using a list for the menu and styling it with CSS. It will be easier to maintain the page in the future and it will be less likely to be exposed to security holes than with Javascript.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts