js and css external file protection

• vx
  • vx

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Guys -

I'm looking for tutorials and source code to protect my external website files from being downloaded (in the way that if you try and look at the external css or js files on this site (ozzu.com), you are prevented from viewing it.

Any ideas where I can start looking would be appreciated. My problem is that I don't know what to search for as I have no idea how its done.

Many thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• vx
  • vx

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry guys - I've just realised that you CAN view the js files on this site - sorry for being thick.

I am still interested in knowing how to protect my site from being copied by a program as I have spent a lot of effort developing my codes (sad as this may be) and although I understand that anything online is susceptible to download, I want to prevent people from viewing my code where possible.

I have no problem with sharing my code for the advance of technology however, I prefer to be asked rather than to find someone has just very rudely nicked it.

Please help. I am at a loss.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is not possible. The topic has been dicussed many times before here already. Everyone agrees that there is no way to protect your html, js, css source code. You should look into applets if you are that worried about source code protection. :roll:
  • vx
  • vx

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for replying.

If i ever get an sort of solution I'll be sure to post here.

This is a great site!!!!
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

No. You will not get a solution. At all. There is no solution. No chance. Stop trying. (If the browser can download the file, then anybody else can, unless you resort to magic.)

If you don't want people to rudely nick your code, just put a GPL license on it, and then nicking it won't be rude!
  • vx
  • vx

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not offended in the least. I hear what you are saying and I am not going to waste time looking for a solution.

I will keep an open mind however as progress is never made with the attitude that things are impossible.

If you think I am stupid then fine. ;-) This week I managed to do something that I've been working on for three years. If I'd listened to others who said it was impossible I would not have got this far.

Your comments have not fallen on deaf ears but I feel strongly that just because something has not been done before, doesn't mean that it won't be done in the future. ;-)

I like this site and I will return for more coding tips.
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you're stupid?

Huh? Ok.

Regardless of what you may think, it will never be possible to hide your source code. Having an open mind won't even help. :P It is logically impossible: In order to get the code behind what you are doing, all that a person has to do is perform the same algorithm that a Web browser performs. Your code is only hidable if no Web browser can get it. :)
  • LazyJim
  • Student
  • Student
  • LazyJim

Post 3+ Months Ago

to hide it it would have to be compiled - java applet can do that but that sucks, and it would no longer be CSS or JS files any more nayway :D
  • Sumen
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Rochester or Albany, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well.
I know a way you can make it harder
I remember javascripts which would "encrypt pages"
I don't remember where, but it'd make the code very hard to read...
you'd have to have the css and js on the page itself and not in external files...unless u wrote something urself...
that is always breakable too....so its still readable...
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can still track down the applet's .class file and decompile it. I've got a java decompiler - don't really use it; just downloaded it to see if it actually worked.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts