3D animation without Flash

• RobinReumers
  • Born
  • Born
  • RobinReumers

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I am honestly not a big fan of Flash, I'm looking for a way to build 3D graphics (human beings) in a browser, based on mathematical calculation, using e.g. css, javascript (mootools, …), php and DHTML. Is there a way to do this you think? I'm basically looking for a way to do this cross-flatform without the need for any external plugins.

Any links or refences to ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm pretty sure your going to need a plugin of some kind no matter what you do. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=javascript+3d+engine
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just posted this in a coding forum question about 3D on the web so I might as well do it again here, to give you an idea of the potential of a plain 'ol animated gif:

http://www.intergate.com/~halfcountplus ... d-half.gif

I don't put a lot of time into art of this sort, but as I said I think this demonstrates the potential. It doesn't really compete with Flash, but that is a 230kb image, 600x400, 14 frames in about 2 seconds and lots of color.

I did that one using openGL and GIMP, but there are probably many easier ways. You do need some kind of image manipulation software, like GIMP or photoshop. Producing an animated gif is pretty easy; you just create multiple layers, don't flatten them, and it will be exported with each layer representing a frame. My layers were just a series of screenshots of OGL output.
  • RobinReumers
  • Born
  • Born
  • RobinReumers

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, my main thing is that I'm looking for a way to display a 3D rendering of a person (in real time), based on coefficents that are stored in a MYSQL database so the image would have to be "on-the-fly", is there anything like that possible already?
  • RobinReumers
  • Born
  • Born
  • RobinReumers

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that 3d engine in javascript answers my question, thanks. Might need some ajax too.
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might look at Google's O3D. It's in alpha, and requires a browser plugin, but it's very robust, and there are even a few games in the samples.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts