Anyone use anything other then Dreamweaver for HTML?

• littlephoenix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

i know most people say " i can hand code " yes we can all handcode, but it all comes down to how fast one can put up a site thats half decent looking, do you guys actually still handcode from scratch or do you guys use an app like dreamweaver?

I personally use DW and of course with a little hand coding and code cleanup.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

IMO, once you know what you're doing, writing your markup from scratch is almost always faster, and you don't have to spend time cleaning up the garbage that every code generator --no matter how good-- always adds.

Dreamweaver has some nice auto-completion features and markup validation in it's code perspective, but to me it's just not worth the money when there are so many free text editors that are much more lightweight and contain similar functionality.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use gedit.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use Kate. She's fantastic.
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use SkITE (It stands for something don't know what) I did use to use dreamweaver but I don't give it a look in now!
  • ozmaster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep, I'm also on Dreamweaver. In these days of time, I don't think anyone will do any hand coding anymore! It is the first and only application that I have learn to create my web design and contents.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

ozmaster wrote:
In these days of time, I don't think anyone will do any hand coding anymore!
Not true. Coding by hand is actually much faster and generates better code with fewer errors. You just have to learn how to do it. Don't confuse knowing software with knowing how to build websites. Thats like saying you know InDesign/Quark so you understand all the ins and outs of making a book.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

ozmaster wrote:
Yep, I'm also on Dreamweaver. In these days of time, I don't think anyone will do any hand coding anymore! It is the first and only application that I have learn to create my web design and contents.

lies.

I use Notepad2 ... it has a syntax hilighter and it has tag completion ... I need nothing more ...
  • Swampert1337
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right now i use HAPEdit and sometimes Evrsoft First Page
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:
I use Notepad2 ... it has a syntax hilighter and it has tag completion ... I need nothing more ...

I thought the same thing when I was using Notepad2 on Windows, that is until I moved to Linux and was kinda forced to start using gedit. I didn't like gedit at first, but I love it now & wouldn't switch back if I could. :D

It has syntax highlighting and tab-activated tag/snippet completion.

gedits' "snippets" are my new favorite thing. I use a template like the following,
Code: [ Select ]
<label><input type="checkbox" name="$1" id="$1"${2: checked="checked"}/>&nbsp;$3</label>$0

which gets inserted when I type "checkbox" and then TAB. When it gets inserted my cursor automaticly jumps to that first "$1" and since that "$1" is also present for the ID attribute whatever I type for NAME automaticly gets entered for ID. Then when I press TAB again it jumps the cursor to the "${2:...}" which already has that checked bit selected so I can either press DELETE to get rid of it or TAB to jump to the "$3" and type in a label for the checkbox, after which I press TAB again and it jumps the cursor to the "$0".

I have a bunch of custom snippets like that. :D

Then there's the "external tools" plugin which makes it easy to pass an open document or selection through another program like sed or a PHP script. Not to mention the CTRL+F8 hotkey to automaticly run MAKE in the directory a file I'm working on is in for say a PHP Extension or Apache Module.

If you ever find yourself on a Linux system & considering running Notepad2 in Wine, don't. You'll be much happier with gedit if you take a little while to get to know it. :)
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow ... those snippets look like they save heaps of time ... on my linux box I use kate ... I quite like her, except that I can't always see where the cursor is blinking, it's strange like that ... I'll download it this evening some time and test it out (gedit that is) ... just one thing, do those "snippets" take long to set up?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Snippets are easy to setup, it can take a little while to think them through before actually adding them though.

I attached an export of my basic snippets for some of the HTML elements gedit snippets seem to miss out of the box.

I hadn't thought of this until just now because I setup the "external tools" to do it from the tools menu, but you could probably fit an entire document template in a snippet and have something like "html4strict" TAB insert a template.
Attachments:
Snippets archive.tar.gz

(1.54 KiB) Downloaded 123 times

• wanna kill
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I also use notepad++ at present time.
It is easy for me to handle this.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I'll try it when I get home tonight ... looks like I am going to be having fun tonight.
  • ben_sigma
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: South Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use SciTE or (Scintilla Text Editor).

Features
-Sytax Highlighting for about 30 different languages.
-Match Brace (brace fiding)
-Good Search
-Line Numbering
-Mulriple Tabs
-auto complete
-auto hint(when writing a function it hints the needed parameters)

I think its great and it is all i need.
:-)
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

TextMate on Mac does the whole snippets thing, though the editor isn't free.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts