Apache problem

• pure-chaos
  • Born
  • Born
  • pure-chaos

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey ppl, this will be my first post here and if i at least get some people tryn to help me with this it will be my primary forum :D as it seems to be pretty good, nice layout, and helpful people (from what i have read).

anyways onto the question

I am using apache 2.0.50 with Windows XP , a DLink Router, and Telus highspeed. Now, i don't want to use a http://www.com or anything like that.. i want to use my IP address.. so, i went to cmd, and typed ipconfig and got my.. i think its internal IP address? and it works fine on my network for accessing the site.. however.. i don't know how to access it from outside the network.. any ideas?

things I have tryed:
i went to a website and it told my my IP was 216.213.Etc etc ,, and i tryed that.. no dice..

therefore i think it might be my router.. i don't know though..

Thanks in Advance to anyone who helps out.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• jerryscs
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Okinawa, Japan

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you did ipconfig, what ip address did it give you? Maybe it gave you a couple of different ones. If you were connected to the Internet at the time, then you probably saw 2 different addresses.

If one started with 192.xxx.xxx.xxx then that would be your internal IP address which isn't viewable to the public.

If the other one started with 216.213.xxx.xxx then that will be your ip when connected to the Internet and that is what the website that you went to pulled up. It is only going to be available when you are online, and when you logoff and log back in, it may change because your ISP is probably using DHCP.

Perhaps you can go into your apache config file and change the hostname to that public IP (216.213.xxx.xxx) and maybe that will work for when you keep your computer online, but if you restart the computer that will probably change and you will have to re-edit your conf file with the new IP address. Also, sometimes public IP's expire or just change on their own and you will get a new address...so you will have to edit the conf file again.

Besides that...are you sure that you want to open up your computer to the world to come in and visit. If you don't have the resources then your computer will bog down and the pages will be slow for people viewing. Getting a http://www.xxx.com address isn't a bad idea, and it isn't that expensive, plus the company that you go through is pretty much guranteed to have the resources available to handle the web requests for your site.

Good luck.
Jerry
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Other problems with putting a website on your home computer:
1. You will most likely have to set up your router to pass all requests on port 80 to your internal IP address in order for ANYONE to be able to see the site outside your own network.
2. Your DLink router is also most likely using DHCP to deal out the internal IP's, and if you reboot your machine, or have other machines on your local network, you're not guaranteed to even get the same internal IP. If your internal IP changes, you will have to reconfigure your router to pass all requests on port 80 to your NEW internal IP.
3. Most Cable providers that I know limit outbound bandwidth to a 128k pipe. THis means your site will be slow, even with only 1 user connected.

This, together with the outside IP problem mentioned by jerryscp, will mean that your website will be hard to get to, even for people who know the address, and usually very slow.

I agree with jerryscp on the hosting as well. You can get personal webspace hosting for dirt cheap these days, and they have better bandwidth, you aren't opening up your network to the world, and many plans include a free 1 year registration of a domain name (which will be much easier for your users to remember than your IP address)
  • pure-chaos
  • Born
  • Born
  • pure-chaos

Post 3+ Months Ago

well the thing is.. i only want to put it up when i wanna transfer some files to my brother..and my isp lets me go 1mb/s upload..so i thought it would be kinda nice to send and recieve files or pictures that way.. but i guess not? i have a lil computer here with 333mhz, and 128 ram.. should i just set it up with lunix and go with that? and keep my 3ghz , 1gig ram not running it..i don't know im confused lol
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I transfer files all the time with my Brother, only I use AIM Direct Connect. MUCH EASIER if that is your ultimate goal.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts