[solved] Arabic text on a website

• Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey!

I have made a website for a client and I'm still updating it. Now my client also wants an Arabic version of the site. I don't have any experience with it, but I can foresee that it will cause problems. Does any one of you have experience with placing Arabic text on a website? Which charset must I use? How do I get the text into Dreamweaver?

I really don't know how to handle this :roll:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Which version of DW are you using? That might be helpful ... I am looking into this for you ... as I might need this on my site as well ...

EDIT: I wonder if you can choose a language with CSS ? hmmmm ...
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am using Dreamweaver 8.0 ;)
About choosing a language, iso-8859-6 is the arabic charset.
So maybe this will do the trick?
Code: [ Select ]
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-6">

I'll try this out tomorrow. But the problem remains... how do I get the text into Dreamweaver.

The translation is delivered to me as PDF or Illustrator, but most certainly PDF as Illustrater will require an extra fee... How will i copy the arabic characters from PDF to Dreamweaver...

They mentioned that I need an Middle East version of Dreamweaver...
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have 7.0 :( I want 8.0 :( .... One day when I am rich!

if css can include meta tags (which it can) just have 2 css files ... one for arabic and one for english ... and they switch when a link is clicked ...
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

What if you subcontracted that part out? seems like having someone that spoke the language do it would be a lot easier and more efficient. If they send as PDF are you just going to copy and paste it?
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't try to do it yourself with babblefish. I am okay with spanish and it butchers it upon translation. I mean you get the point but it is well written at all.
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

No I'm not going to do it myself. In fact, my client let the text be translated by an professional company. The already translated much, but that was for posters/advertising/logo's etc.. and a website is different because it isn't static like a poster. I mean a poster is printed and that's it. They can deliver it to me in PDF and also in Illustrator, but my client has to pay another fee of €50 to get it in Illustrator so they want me to put it from PDF into the site, if possible.

But I want to know if it possible, because if my client pays a company to translate it and then I tell my client that it's not possible to get the text on the site, they will not be happy.

But if I have the right charset, can I just copy and paste it into dreamweaver?? I doubt it to be honest...:S

Another solution could be to display the text as images but that makes the website terribly slow to load :(
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

you should be able to transfer it as text. I've never worked with arabic, but I use serbian, which has specific letters.... and as long as I'm in the right format, (utf8 in the case of serbian) I can copy the text wherever I want, including into dreamweaver. I know I can also copy japanese text into notepad, though I've never attempted to copy it into dreamweaver. (actually I might just try that now...) I figure whatever the text, as long as the charset is right it should work.
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks :) I changed the charset to utf-8 and I can copy and paste it now :D
  • HHoney
  • Born
  • Born
  • HHoney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Celandine, Fabinator

Thank you so much for this discussion.
A company I did an Arabic translation for were having the same problem going on for more than a month now.
I have tried everything to help ( I am a translator/teacher not a web designer) but in vain...

I have sent them the information gathered in your discussion.

I hope it will work for them as it worked for you Fabinator!!
Thank you Celandine for being so helpful!!!

HHH North Africa
  • robertinarabia
  • Born
  • Born
  • robertinarabia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been asked to use Dreamweaver to add Arabic translations to English sentences on an existing educational site.

There will be alternate English/Arabic sentences on every page.

Any advice would be appreciated.
  • MisterArabic
  • Born
  • Born
  • MisterArabic

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fabinator,

Font choose to write in Arabic in Dreamweaver 8 ®:

Solution 1: the entire web page must have "utf-8" as font

1. Launch Dreamweaver ® 8 and click on "File / New.../ Page / Basic HTML ".

2. Getting in the "Code" and change the font that corresponds to the field "charset" like this: charset = utf-8 "/>

3. Save.

Solution 2: The web page must have necessarily a different font than "utf-8"

2. View menu by clicking the small black triangle to the right of the screen.

3. At each passage where there is text in Arabic (title, table cells, marked, link), i have to select this passage and in the menu "Tag Inspector" pick "rtl" for the field "dir" and "ar "for field" lang ".

4. Save.

Source: sumarabus com (lots of tutorials on the Arabic language and Dreamweaver 8, Flash 8 etc...).

Ma3a Assalama.

Mister Arabic.
  • meroforever194
  • Born
  • Born
  • meroforever194

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have make page in asp java script and linked by css in dreamweaver and sql2000 when i retrieve Arabic data from database by record set show in ???????????????? this format
please any body now the solving please post it
thanks
  • MisterArabic
  • Born
  • Born
  • MisterArabic

Post 3+ Months Ago

Results page in Arabic in Dreamweaver 8: solve the problem display with dinterrogations points?

1. Open the page that will host the search results in Arabic from the database.

2. In the "Code" part locate the line mysql_select_db($database_MaBaseIci, $MaTableIci);

3. Copy the two following lines of code immediately below:
mysql_query ("SET NAMES cp1256");
mysql_query ("set characer set cp1256");

4. Edit the charset of the page for charset = windows-1256 as:
&lt; meta http-equiv = "Content-Type" content = "text/html; charset = windows-1256 "/ &gt;

5 Register.

Source: www sumarabus com (tutorials on the Arabic language and Dreamweaver 8) .)

Ma3a assalama,

Mister Arabic.
  • shosho
  • Born
  • Born
  • shosho

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Fabinator,
Code: [ Select ]
افضل وسائل التسويق الفيس

Font choose to write in Arabic in Dreamweaver 8 ®:

Solution 1: the entire web page must have "utf-8" as font

2. Getting in the "Code" and change the font that corresponds to the field "charset" like this: charset = utf-8 "/>

3. Save.

A company I did an Arabic translation for were having the same problem going on for more than a month now.
I have tried everything to help ( I am a translator/teacher not a web designer) but in vain...
Solution 2: The web page must have necessarily a different font than "utf-8"

2. View menu by clicking the small black triangle to the right of the screen.

3. At each passage where there is text in Arabic (title, table cells, marked, link), i have to select this passage and in the menu "Tag Inspector" pick "rtl" for the field "dir" and "ar "for field" lang ".

4. Save.

Source: sumarabus com (lots of tutorials on the Arabic language and Dreamweaver 8, Flash 8 etc...).

Ma3a Assalama.

Mister Arabic.

• xiaomianmian
  • Born
  • Born
  • xiaomianmian

Post 3+ Months Ago

I want to know if it possible, because if my client pays a company to translate it and then I tell my client that it's not possible to get the text on the site, they will not be happy.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts