Available Fonts?

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

What fonts can I use? Seems like a very common question around CSS. I just ran across these lists of what fonts come with different operating systems, software packages, etc. they don't list things as "web safe" per say but they should give a pretty good idea of popularity/availability.

http://media.24ways.org/2007/17/fontmatrix.html

http://www.apaddedcell.com/web-fonts
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice find. Thanks for sharing. It's rather interesting to have a look at the fonts we throw around our applications at work. We're definitely using one of the least compatibles, but at least now I can add that to the list of crap to change. :)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's odd how every time I think about something and not post it, there's almost always a thread started on the basic subject in the next day or two. :lol:

I was just thinking about fonts yesterday, more specifically, how to decide whether I should use a sans, mono, serif, etc font as the last alternate in the CSS font-family rules of a site.

The easy answer, if you know a lot about fonts and the terminology that goes with them, is to just look at the font and I should know. What if I don't know the difference between a serif and a Sheriff though ? (//edit -- now that I think about that, they both have little "spurs" on them don't they?)

It would be interesting to see a piece of software that will search for fonts on a system, look at them, and not only determine what the CSS font-family rule I would use to have a page display that font would be, but also look at the glyphs and suggest what type of font I should use as a last-ditch alternate. :)

--

That first link to the font matrix gimmick is nice. Whatever they're using to make the list scroll under the headers doesn't work in Chrome or Opera though. I think they should drop the scroll gimmick and just insert the headers more often. What if I wanted to print it ?

Quote:
Arno Pro

Well I can think of at least one person who will like the name of that font! :D
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh Lord! Comic sans serif is the bane of my existence. :P
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well since you asked I'd be happy to give a quick typography overview.

Serif literally means "decorated" and Sans means "without" so Sans Serif is without decoration. In the case of letter forms, decoration refers to the little widening at the base/top of a letter form.

Attachments:
typography.jpg

The letters on the left are San-Serif and the letters on the right are Serifed

If I remember my design history correctly serifs began when type (think roman empire) was carved into stone. The artisan needed a way to finish the letter stroke and placing the chisel across the end of the stroke was the best way to solve the problem. Thus producing Serifs.

An added benefit to the serifs was discovered in body copy because they help the eye follow the line of text. This is the reason that most printed newspapers/book will use a serif font for large bodies of text. Unfortunately the technology of monitors has gotten in the way of using serifs for body copy since the light emitted from a monitor actually tends to blur/subpixel the fine serifs and removes legibility.

Obviously there are many sub families of fonts: slab-serif, handwriting, etc but knowing the difference between the two main types will really help with being able to correctly match replacements.

Common Serif Fonts: Times/Times New Roman, Baskerville, Georgia
Common San Serif Fonts: Arial, Helvetica, Trade Gothic, Impact

Verdana is actually a Slab-Serif since it has Serifs but they are the full stroke width and don't taper toward the ends.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Oh Lord! Comic sans serif is the bane of my existence.

You and basically everyone on reddit (check the link - the metaphor is worth it!). You're responsible for this site, aren't you? :lol:
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
Oh Lord! Comic sans serif is the bane of my existence. :P

And Papyrus
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, I like Papyrus ! :D

Quote:
If I remember my design history correctly serifs began when type (think roman empire) was carved into stone. The artisan needed a way to finish the letter stroke and placing the chisel across the end of the stroke was the best way to solve the problem. Thus producing Serifs.

Well it definitely sounds plausible to me, having a background in construction.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Guess the sad part about the list is there still aren't a whole lot of common fonts between OS's. Fortunately I do a lot more print design now for magazine ads than I do any kind of web work. So thankfully I can use whatever font suits my fancy.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
You and basically everyone on reddit (check the link - the metaphor is worth it!). You're responsible for this site, aren't you? :lol:

Loved this comment!
Quote:
I don't think anyone should stop anyone else form using Comic Sans. For me and many others worldwide, it's the fastest way to tell that something isn't worth reading.

:lol: I wish I was responsible for the bancomicsans.com site. Very funny!

I will admit to regularly abusing Franklin Gothic (very popular for logos in the 90's) and Trajan (for my church). :P
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
I will admit to regularly abusing Franklin Gothic (very popular for logos in the 90's) and Trajan (for my church). :P

mmmmm Trajan Pro

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts