Background image - repeat problem

• bowpete
  • bowpete

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello! I am a new member -- have never posted before but enjoy reading your discussions on web design. I am having a problem getting a background image in DreamweaverCS3 to stop repeating (vertically) and thought you all might have some advice for me?

The page I'm working on is http://laurabowly.com/copper/history.html -- and the issue is with the right bar image. I've tried adding the "no-repeat" in the code, and it just doesn't seem to be working.

<td width="146" valign="top" background="images/rightbg.jpg" background-repeat="no-repeat"><div align="center" class="listinghead">

At first, I tried to give the table a DivID, and edited the css to make it not repeat ... which seemed to work fine until I uploaded it and then the image would not show up at all (whole 'nother issue). So, I decided to just give the table column a background image, but can't get it to stop repeating.

I apologize for the long-winded question. I appreciate any help you can offer. Best, Laura
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: BKNY

Post 3+ Months Ago

change this:
Code: [ Select ]
<td width="146" valign="top" background="images/rightbg.jpg" background-repeat="no-repeat">

to this:
Code: [ Select ]
<td width="146" valign="top" style="background:url('images/rightbg.jpg') no-repeat;">

better yet, try not using tables for your general layout and break all of your presentational (design) elements out of the code for the page itself (put them all in the css, rather than writing them into the code for the page).

anyways, that should work as a little bandaid for now. good luck!
  • bowpete
  • bowpete

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you so much! That worked great and I'm trying to get more proficient at using css. I really appreciate your help! LB

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts