Bank websites

• Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey,

How much would you charge for a bank website? just wondering, no one would want to put up the prices no matter how big the company is, would they?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• bluedragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • bluedragon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please specify more. A bank system like in phpbb forums? or like First National Bank of California?
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

bank - as in money bank.... transfer money, withdraw (real life).
  • souravsinha
  • Born
  • Born
  • souravsinha
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

That would be one huge site. It is not possible to give the price without the project specifications.

Thank you.
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have the same surname as my little brother but different spelling and near arounds same spelling of my name just 2 different letters.
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are talking about a site that handles money transactions over the web ie. Online Banking, There are several things that must go into a price. First of all, the cost of the server since you HAVE to get a secure HTTPS. Those things cost (trust me i been there :) ) Also, you are going to need some advanced security features and those kind of site tend to be huge. So, depending on the client and what they want, and also the necessary thngs they will need to get, we are talking alot of money. If I can charge 300K for a webstore with only 300 items, a bank site can run at least triple that. Jus t a thought.
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

300k dollars or pounds?

I mean these days for a 300 item store people charge 1.2k pounds. UK
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

300k U.S. Dollars. Thats what I charged for the webstore Im building right now. But alot of that is because it a major company and can afford. It. If it was a small commercial seller, I may not charge quite the same, maybe only 200K.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Would banks actually source outside companies to do this kind of work? Seeing as all the networking and internal systems need integrate with the outside (web-based) system. Constant upkeep and monitoring, rediculous security. Surely they have internal departments that deal with all of this stuff? Surely?

Dude, what is this shop selling :shock: 300 types of space station or something?
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with rtm, 300k is way too much.. Unless they are stupid..

So many websites out there charge around 1 or 2k.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

It really depends, I bet half of those 1.2k are just tailoring a generic backend. To completely build a custom solution with all the whistles and bells would cost significantly more.

I'm sure shark isn't ripping them off, we dno't know how much work is involved in this project.
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL no, they are a health food store. Basically its an outlet site for companies such as Yoders Foods, Toms of Maine, Arrowhead Mills, American Health, Alacer, Celestial Seasonings, and many other.

They upgraded their supply list now, so it way over 300 items. I should have explained it better. They told me they were planning to add at least 4 times as many items soon. That was two months ago. I got the new catalog list last month.

Good God...... i just went and counted, its 137 different brands that are being moved through this site, with a total of 30-60 products PER BRAND. Waaay more than It was going to be. This project is going to take at least a year to complete. *stares at his screen in horror*
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suppose so. Are the charges through the amount of hours or by the amount of work being done?
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh right, i didnt know you can get that much money from an ecommerce store :o
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Both. The length of time for my current project will cost because of all the hours I have to put in, I also charge on account of the fact that they want images for every item. The ones I cant find on the web, I have to take manually. That takes even more time. When I work a price its on account of, Time, how graphic intesive the site is, and how many products they are listing if its a webstore.

So let me change my price. LOL 300k in U.S is decent for the project I am on now. With the amount of work i have to do. A samll store with only 300 or so products would only be about 100K if not less. since it wouldnt take so much time. Again it depends on what the customer wants. YOu should base your price on what the customer is asking as well as the time it will take and also what is necessary to keep it running.
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dont you feel a bit weird when you actually say "this will cost 300k"
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL nope not at all. I know how much my time is worth. If you saw all the different brand names I will be working with, and all the products they are listing, This project could actually be worth more. I know they can afford it, I also know how hard I will have to work. So....again the answer, not at all.

Just remember you cant charge big money like that with people or companies that only want like a portfolio site or an About Us site. That would be ridiculous.
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very true, i need to redo my website... I just spent 2 mins on it...

I need to try and create an impression now..
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you were to create a cms system for a small website maybe worth 300 dollars or 280 pounds how much extra you reckon that be?

400 dollars?
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah an impression is most important. Right now I only have my small portfolio site up. But I email links to my other website that I have done to my potential customer so they can have a chance to see what I have done. But that is also yet another project of mine *sigh* to create a decent portfolio site that I can send people to.
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is very hard work i got to admit.
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you mean to integrate the CMS into the current website? Then again, I would base that on the amount of time you have to put in. And also for the price of the CMS. The customer pays for everything. THey wanted the site, they pay for what goes into it. So, you start with the price of the CMS, then you add the charge for your time. Whether you base it on Hours, Days, Weeks, Months, or Years.
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good message.
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: NC, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, maybe I can shed some light on the original post once again.

I work for a financial institution (the second largest Credit Union in the world). Not a bank, but same deal. I'm a web developer here and we've had a web presence for around 6 yrs. now.

To sum it all up in a word MILLIONS. LOTS! There are roughly 25 people that support the site from security, development, design, & admin. Hardware alone cost MILLIONS. We have around 10 racks of servers, storage, tape back up...not including redundant back ups...blah blah blah.

To answer RTM's question about out-sourcing. Why yes we and everyone else does. You must remember a lot of financial institution (like ours) still store information on MAINFRAME. Yup...old school. So coming up w/ a way to retrieve data from the mainframe and put out on the web takes some doing. We use screen-scraping which is the most popular method for this. In order to incorporate screen-scraping we paid a vendor to come set us up w/ their software that does this and develop a site. We then take over maintenance of the site. The company we've contracted w/ is releasing a newer version of their software and the price tag is in the $3million range.

Not bad, when you consider we generated $1.6 million just last month on loans from an online promotion.

PS: I made the promotional site. If only I could have had a % instead of this lousy paycheck they give me every 2 weeks. :lol:
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL like I said, 300k wasnt even close! Good to have you here on Ozzu s15199d, else he may have actually charged far less than its worth. Wow, I knew that alot of stuff was necessary to make it work but all that?! :shock:

THink Ill stick to basic websites and ecommerce :P
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

rofl, i agree with sharkshark.

Only one of me doing this, dont want my head to explode.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts