Beginner needs help!!

• geneliamarc
  • Born
  • Born
  • geneliamarc

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys this post is from a proletarian. My kids are all grown up and then I wanted to engage myself in some sort of creative work. My friends suggested me to get into web designing. So I started taking classes on the same. After 3 months of training now I am planning to invest in Dreamweaver CS4. Before going for DW CS4 I just want know that whether it’s alright to invest in DW CS4 or should I go for the complete CS4 web premium?

Please suggest me guys.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well there are really a lot of text editors available (some free) that will do exactly what Dreamweaver offers. Personally I would think an image editing app like Photoshop would be a little better use of your money. Just my $0.02
  • roje0913
  • Student
  • Student
  • roje0913

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say if you can, buy the entire suite. You can always download a trial version and fool around with them for a week or two and gauge what you really want/need.
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to have dreamweaver untill it drove me mad because the codes will be out of date in a few years and then what do you do? Also dreamweaver gives you a lot of unnessery code.
Its a lot like computers if you have say $500 to spend on a computer in 2 years that $500 will buy you a computer that cost $1000 2 years ago same with dreamweaver (or any wysiwyg programs) so my advice would be to go for a free one and then update it for free whan the code standers change!
  • northstjarna
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • northstjarna
  • Loc: Chertsey, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello, ;o)

Dreamweaver is like Marmite... You either love it or you hate it. I love Marmite and I also like DW.

Notpad ++
is free and you can set the language from HTML to php, asp, Ruby... lots infact.

http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

I have the Adobe suite, but then I like Dreamweaver. I never use the full WYSWYG features, I'm all code, sometimes I split view (IE code and design layout) - Don't know why I forked out for it now, perhaps I just like the availability of having it if I want. And the green top bar.. sad ;o)

Quote:
Also dreamweaver gives you a lot of unnessery code.

Yes sadly true but if you are using it in a text-editor style then you don't need to use it. I like DW also because I can connect to a MySQL Database and creating complex SQL Queries DW makes a bit easier...

I'd advise you to try before you buy anything though...
Rather than fork out loads on software get yourself some good books on design techniques?? If you learn the solid way you wont need to spend loads on expensive software.

I think Photoshop is probably a must have in Website design, or at least Fireworks... I use both, but then I really like the suite and I'm a software a maniac.

Good design concepts are to design in photoshop/fireworks, split the design into slices and then export the HTML. That's give you a big head-start and the use notepad to code the css.

Try to get under the hood, rather than all What you see is what you get (WYSIWYG)

I would advise not designing a site layout in tables, using divs instead because its much more accessible and css is more fun. Plus updating a whole site design through one style sheet is so much easier than trying to change each page.

Why not create yourself some basic templates you can use time and again, sort of starter templates, or even download some and taylor to your needs while you get more in-depth.

Once you got (x)html and css under your belt, why not try turning your hand to a bit of javascript?? Maybe even a dash of php and MySQL... There is so much fun to be had with a text editor and a bit of imagination. There's lots of good books out there too.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use Notepad++ for everything. That's all I use for coding... well, and Firefox and WAMP to test the code out, but that's it... all free and works perfectly well.

WYSIWYG Editors won't teach you anything but how to use those editors.
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Flordia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use dreamweaver, but use all hand coding. I like the files system management. Maybe it's overkill, but it suites my needs.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

As you've seen by now, usage of WYSIWYG (pronounced wizz-e-wig, What You See Is What You Get) editors can be a controversial topic. At the LEAST, I implore you to try the trial of any Adobe software you intend to take on.

Web design can be hairy, and it's not for everyone - make sure the money is worth it before you jump heart, soul, and wallet first.
  • Light Speed
  • Born
  • Born
  • Light Speed
  • Loc: Website Design

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dreamweaver is dying a death I'm afraid.

It's still good for a WYSIWYG editor, but as tastysite mentioned, it does produce alot of un-nescessary code.

It's a good starting point though.

As far as what package you should get. Well, as roje says, download the trials, see if you like them, or get on with them and then make your decision.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dreamweaver is actually still a fantastic editor if you use it solely as a text editor. The trouble is that there are many other editors (cheaper/free) that do basically the same thing.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts