•  
    None of those choices

Best free forum host?

• Vidda
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Vidda

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tell me, wich one do you think is better? Invision free powerboard? phpBB? Proboards (or the obsolete version: Conforums) or any other you know... I prefer proboards. It's really easy and quick and stuff, but I'll switch to phpBB someday coz there are much more possibilities. :P
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thee aren't forum "services" and they don't host forums, these are actual scripts that you run on your own site.

A "Forum Service" would be something like Bravenet.

http://www.bravenet.com/
  • Vidda
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Vidda

Post 3+ Months Ago

Erm... okay... let's not forget I speak second english only, I lack vocabulary... Meany...

And yes those are services:

Proboards.com
phpbb.com
invisionfree.com

They make your forums and then you customise it. There are not code (they all use the same code)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok Proboards is a service, I didn't realise that invisionfree.com was any different from invisionboard.com, so please forgive me - and they do use different scripts to power them, they are not all using the same script.

phpBB, however, is not a forum hosting service. They simply supply the script. You install it on your own server, and do whatever you want to it.
  • Vidda
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Vidda

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay no hard feeling :wink: . Yeah I know about phpBB. But what I don't know is what do you mean by "different scrips" You mean the code we use to customise the board? the code we use in posts?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The code that powers the forum is different.

invisionfree.com runs Invision Powerboard. phpBB is, well, phpBB, a different script. As for Proboards, I'm not exactly sure what the forum software is they're using, it looks like they are using their own system, or a derivative of some OSS forum script.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lets resolve this issue of misunderstanding each other.

There are sites that provide a phpBB forum and host it for free for you. The only catch in that is a very long URL with numbers in it. SOmething like http://www.phpbbweb.com/ .

Invisionboard and Proboards can be hosted on the web for free as well.

They ALL use different script of some sort. Proboard maybe uses some modified script of another forum or it probably uses it's own script. By script I mean the code that makes up the forum.

The second result for "define: script" in google is...

Quote:
A set of commands written in an interpreted language to automate certain application tasks. The term scenario is also sometimes used.

They use different scripts for different features that they have.

Anyway, I think that phpBB is the best forum for you. After phpBB i would say vBulletin (It's a paid forum) and after that an Invision board than Proboards (Bravenet would be the very last choice. They suck. In my opinion.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This thread is over 3 years old.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:

lol I didn't realize that. I guess have to look at the date when they were posted before they were posted...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm willing to "look the other way" about the age of this thread, 3 years is a nice long period of time to get a comparison of each forum softwares' progress & how opinions have changed in that time.

The large gap in the date is actually a good reason to read this thread by itself for the people who pay attention to that date while they're reading. :D
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:

spork wrote:
......which is...uh.. a good thing!....yeah...

spork wrote:
... because.... yeah.

I knew you'd agree with me ;)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts