Best language for shopping cart.

• Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

What would be the best language to program a shopping cart. I was going to go into PERL or PHP within the next while, so which one would be better for it. Or something else like ASP or javascript. I am doing a webpage for my mom's friend and since she got ripped off by her last webmaster she doesn't have much money to spend on the site, so she won't be able to buy a shopping cart program. And since I am a good programmer (mainly application, but learn other languages fast) I though I would just write one of my own or at least use some open source shopping cart stuff. I would also need multi browser support. Don't get me wrong, I am not expecting to have a full fledged shopping cart by tomorrow, so I know it will take time.
the site she wants me to redo is http://valleysoaps.com she thinks it's horrible, and the guy who did it just disappeared.
Do you guys have any tips or suggestions for that kind of site, she wants a certain look to it, but she hasn't showed me yet. So what are your guys opinions for a site like that?

Also kind of on the same subject, someone else I know is spending a lot of money on this shopping cart program for her own site, but the company she is buying it from will not talk on the phone, they only want to communicate through e-mail. I forgot to ask what the company was, but do you guys think this is a sure sign of a scam?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check out OSCommerce (oscommerce.com)
No need to reinvent the wheel. If you were thinking about PHP anyway, they already did it for you. All you need to do is edit and tweak it. And BTW -- with OSCommerce you could have a fullfledged shopping cart by tomorrow if you were interested. Just need php and mySQL supported host.

//edit - forgot to mention OSCommerce is open source so it won't cost you a dime.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as a redo on the site, my first suggestion (and I'm sure others here will agree) is lose the frames. They are not at all necesary for that site. That alone will improve the appearance.
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Check out OSCommerce (oscommerce.com)
No need to reinvent the wheel. If you were thinking about PHP anyway, they already did it for you. All you need to do is edit and tweak it. And BTW -- with OSCommerce you could have a fullfledged shopping cart by tomorrow if you were interested. Just need php and mySQL supported host.

//edit - forgot to mention OSCommerce is open source so it won't cost you a dime.

What's the fun in premade stuff? :P

But, thanks. This is exactly like what I was looking for. I did do some searching but I couldn't find anything descent that was opensource. I owe you. 8)

ATNO/TW wrote:
As far as a redo on the site, my first suggestion (and I'm sure others here will agree) is lose the frames. They are not at all necesary for that site. That alone will improve the appearance.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, I hate forums. (some minor exceptions)
I was thinking a simple layout, menu on the left, (the links that were at the top moved to the left) and more of a linear style. just something simple and profesional looking.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol -- Welcome to Ozzu Tom the Great! (that sounds so barbaric! *smiles)
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with what fun is premade stuff, but if you want something that is really secure and works really well, it's best to go with a well established program.

Simply scripts can be made but they wont be as good as osCommerce, but they may be just what you need.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tom the Great wrote:
What's the fun in premade stuff? :P

Well, presumably if you're running a store, the goal is to make money, not have fun. Having fun is just a bonus. What's common sense about having premade stuff is that you can get your store up in a week instead of a year from now.

I fully back the recommendation of osCommerce, so if I were you, I'd get that setup for now to give you an idea of what PHP can do, and to get your name out there, and get people buying from you. Use it for the next few months while you work on your own - if you decide you still want to.

At least this'll start building up your reputation and getting you a customer base now with reliable software, rather than going into this without seeing how a real store works (if you'd seen how a real store worked, you wouldn't be asking this question, hehe).
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
rather than going into this without seeing how a real store works

Looks like the kid that did the site the first time should have read that, somthing like "Money must be recieved prior to product being shipped" , would be much better said "Sorry no C.O.Ds"

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts