Best screen size for web site.

• Shone
  • Shone

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello!

What would you say is the best screen size of a website. I've just started on a new one, but i know it wont fit on most monitors. Mine is set to 1280 x 960 which makes it hard to judge on smaller resolution. I hate changing it as is messes with my icons .

So, what's a good size to use in this age?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

use the resize addon for firefox, it helps somewhat.
  • Suikolove
  • Suikolove

Post 3+ Months Ago

Probably 800x600, since you know that a person would have to be pretty far-gone to still be using a resolution under 800x600.
  • JasonStanley
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • JasonStanley
  • Loc: London, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is your audience? If you are aiming for a young technical minded audience then the chances are that many users will be on 1024x800+. If you are looking at a broad audience then 800x600 would be better.
  • Zwirko
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: 55° N, 3° W

Post 3+ Months Ago

One thing to bear in mind is that screen real estate is just that. It's space. It's land. Some land you might want to build on, some you might not - maybe you like the open country? Just because the space is there doesn't mean you have to fill it.
  • Mereth
  • Mereth

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with Zwirko, one of the primary things you learn in graphic design is proper use of 'white space'. It is in itself a design element.
  • littlephoenix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Suikolove wrote:
Probably 800x600, since you know that a person would have to be pretty far-gone to still be using a resolution under 800x600.

that res was in play back in 1999, now days computers are equipped with an avrage res of 1280x1024, but to be safe, stick with 1024. just my opinion. ;)
  • cyberblue
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think resolution is 1027 x 800 that's ok for web design
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

cyberblue wrote:
I think resolution is 1027 x 800 that's ok for web design

that doesn't make sense ...
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well if you want to please 80% of the market design for 1024x768. According to w3 http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp
  • whym
  • whym

Post 3+ Months Ago

Remember that the browser takes up a certain amount of space in itself - scroll bars, tool bars and any number of other "bars"!

I tend to make the main area of the site approximately 900 to 950px wide as this accommodates for 1024 x 768 users OK, doesn't look stupidly small on a much larger monitor but doesn't completely rule out the small number of 800 x 600 users that remain.
  • Zwirko
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: 55° N, 3° W

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good point whym. Very few people seem to realise that monitor/screen size likely has very little to do with how much space a user actually gives a browser window.

Reminds me of some 456 Berea St. articles I read a while back on this topic. One a quicky with links and the other a poll "Do you maximise your browser window" - with a huge number of comments.

The poll results were summed up thus:
Baring in mind the audience of that site, I don't know how this would translate globally.

I think the subject is one that could go on forever.
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I sometimes browser on my TV (720x576) and quite often on my phone (300x300). I think you best bet is to go with a fluid design that will happily shrink down to the smallest possible size.
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zwirko wrote:
Good point whym. Very few people seem to realise that monitor/screen size likely has very little to do with how much space a user actually gives a browser window.

Reminds me of some 456 Berea St. articles I read a while back on this topic. One a quicky with links and the other a poll "Do you maximise your browser window" - with a huge number of comments.

The poll results were summed up thus:
Baring in mind the audience of that site, I don't know how this would translate globally.

I think the subject is one that could go on forever.

Thanks for those stats Zwirko! It confirms my belief that I'm not alone..

Here is what my monitor looks like while I read this thread. Anything designed bigger than like 900px wide that I have to use a horizontal scrollbar to navigate is just plain annoying.
  • eggi
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • eggi

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey there,

Have you considered using percentages rather than fixed pixels? That way you could cover all your bases. The only issue then would be font size.
  • zhaira
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • zhaira

Post 3+ Months Ago

usually the good size to use in this age is 1024X728 resolution. before the standard size is 800x600 and 720x500.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

*1024x768

and that doesn't mean you can make the site 1024 pixels wide, because the browser still has sides and borders and stuff ...
  • champi0n
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you design a site for the 1024x768 resolution... it means you design it to fit in a browser running on a system using that resolution. It doesnt meant you make your website 1024px wide!

Width wise anywhere from 775-980px, whatever. You decide.

You're not guaranteed a specific top to bottom size due to all the toolbar, tab, and extra additions people have, as well as both the size of their task bar or how many they have (ie top and bottom).
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

champi0n wrote:
You're not guaranteed a specific top to bottom size due to all the toolbar, tab, and extra additions people have, as well as both the size of their task bar or how many they have (ie top and bottom).

To add to that point, I'm not kidding when I say I've seen people who's toolbars take up literally half of their browser window.
  • dogbert
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Tacoma, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I generaly design for 1024x768 but keep an eye on posible annoyences with 800x600 such as using the scroll bars to much, because in reality if you have a clean layout keeping menus and such slim and on the top or left its really not going to be a huge issue with smaller screens just tends to be more of a pain. on the same note however I almost exsclusivly used fixed pixel layouts and keep it at or under 700px wide just because I'm use to it and like everything snug in its place.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was browsing through this and found this topic interesting as I bring my designing forward. I tend to like liquid web pages and make them so after designing at a fixed pixel width to ensure everything prints on one page with no cut off lines of text. For me clicking on a *printer friendly version* is not user friendly and doubles the designing and updating.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts