Best viewed with any browser

• multiosbrowser
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dear Forum Members,

what is necessary for a website to say, this website is best viewable with any browser. Must the website without frames or only HTML conformance or CSS conformance or visible with text browsers, web browser, tv browser?

Thanks...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you say ANY browser, do you mean the current version of any browser? If so, properly formed HTML or XHMTL is where you'll need to start.

Some will say that you need to write pages that can be validated at http://www.w3.org, but that's not always strictly true, even though it does show good form.

In my experience, the only way to know for sure is to write the best page you can then test, test, test and test again in all evironments that you intend to support.
  • Impreza
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Impreza

Post 3+ Months Ago

yup..test in browsers that you can think of :)
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

dM: Yeah, I do believe coding to w3c standards is good coding practice, and SHOULD be how it works. However, as you said it doesn't always work. And that is because different browsers have different ways of interpreting the 'standard'.

I've found that browsers like Mozilla/Firefox are pretty strict to the standards. So I typically code for them first. Then I fix any bugs that may occur in IE after that (since IE likes to go it's own way on certain things like CSS).

If you want your site to look perfect in all browsers, the best you can do is properly form your code the best you can and test in all the browsers. What doesn't work you sometimes gotta hack ;)
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

As DM correctly said, testing is the only way to guarantee cross browser conformity. However there are some methods that can make it easier. This is all from my personal and somewhat limited experience but here goes.
<ol><li><b>Code for standards compliance. </b>
<ul><li>Make a page that works in a browser with good standards compliance, I recomend firefox. </li>
<li>It is then pretty easy to "dumb down" for IE, and other less compliant browsers. It's <b>much</b> harder to take dumbed down code and make it better. This is also good for "forward compatibility"</li>
<li>Use a Valid doctype. IE6 goes all funky and much less controllable if you don't. This is commonly known as "quirks mode". There is also an issue with the xml prelude to an html page. Scrap the xml thing if you use it, it is not needed.</li>
<li>Learn the major browser bugs (IE5 box model, IE(all) float bugs). There are work-arounds and hacks for most of them. Learn the hacks too.</li>
</ul></li>
<li><b>Dont try to support really old browsers. </b>
<ul><li>Support all the current vesions and M$IE 5.0+ NSN6+ etc. </li>
<li>Any thing before this is worth trying to support, but don't go crazy try to make it work in NSN4. Cut your losses.</li>
</ul></li>
<li><b>Other Types of Browser</b>
<ul><li>If you want to support multiple devices (like the TV browser you mentioned) this is really easy using the CSS media selectors. Just send different styles to different devices as you need.</li>
<li>Frames are unadvisable in any situation, but a definate no-no for device independence.</li>
<li>For mobile devices, you are really going to need to ditch table-based design and use a pure CSS layout. Then use the mobile media selector to send a stripped down stylesheet to mobiles. See http://www.alistapart.com for an example of this (you can use the wapalizer to test - google "wapalizer")</li>
<li>For text browsers, aural browsers etc:
<ul><li>use Alt text on images and use it sensibly (see http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/alt/alt-text.html ). </li>
<li>where possible use background images on divs (or whatever) rather than using img tags if it is a layout graphic (like a border or title image). </li>
<li>Frahrer image replacement is good but has it's own issues which I won't go into right now.</li>
<li>Use <b>meaningful</b> tags. If it is an unordered list, use ul and li tags, rather than lots of line breaks (br tags). Use header tags for headers. use tables for tabulated data <b>only</b>. If you need to do definitions, use a definition list. You get the idea.</li>
<li>Put your html in logical order (large navigation at the bottom of the html file please - blind people don't want to have to listen to all of the places they <b>could</b> go to next before reading the page they actually want to be at!)</li></ul></li></ul></li></ol>
Ok so maybe some of this is relevent to the "conventional" browsers, but you did say "any browser" and to me that means everyone, even if they are not sitting at a PC looking at a screen.

Ummmm. Thats all I can think of. If I think of anything else in the next couple of days then I will post back, but this should be more than enough to get you started :wink:

*scurries back off to his text books before someone tells me off :( (I got fed up of learning about CPU registers, MDR, MAR, CIR, MSB, LSB and all that theory and wanted to do some "real" computing :lol:)
  • multiosbrowser
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

After reading the postings I think it is more important to make the website work with the currently most commonly used browsers, rather than to say "best viewed with any browser".

Thank you for the comments and suggestions. :?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts