best way to integrate ecommerce

  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 575
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm starting work on a new website and was wondering what you guys thought the best way is to integrate ecommerce into it. I've used Mal's e-commerce before and it works ok, but I want the end result to looks as pro and integrated as possible.

Anyone have opinions on osCommerce, ZenCart, Paypal, or anything else that might be good?
  • lefnire
  • Born
  • Born
  • lefnire
  • Posts: 1

Post 3+ Months Ago

osCommerce & ZenCart are viable solutions. Paypal is going to be used no matter what.

My favorite solution: Drupal + ubercart. osCommerce & ZenCart are pretty strictly ecommerce geared, Drupal will give you some flexibility beyond eCommerce.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2008
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

how does one even integrate e-commerce into a site? do you need to know PHP?
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 575
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:
how does one even integrate e-commerce into a site? do you need to know PHP?

If you were writing the cart code from scratch, I think you would need to know PHP. I'm looking for a package solution where I don't have to do that, though (only so much time in a day :wink: )

When I used Mal's e-commerce, they just gave you the code to put in your forms, so all you need to know is how to create an HTML form and paste their info in there. Then the user clicks the button to buy an item on your site and it takes you to the shopping cart page.

Just wondering if anyone's tried out anything better or if I should stick with Mal's. Seems like all of my clients want e-commerce these days and it's stressing me out.. lol
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2008
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for that. I'll have to get to grips with it sooner or later.... of course I'm starting a PHP course in a few days so that should help I hope...
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 575
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's cool.. I wish I were taking a PHP course. I only have a few classes left in my Information Technology degree and none of them have anything to do with PHP. I do have a Flash class coming up though :D
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2008
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now that's cool - wish I had an IT degree...

I plan to do a flash course after I finish php. there's also a pc maintenance course at this school which I hope to take.. .after or before flash, I don't know... but flash is so huge, you'd need lots and lots of classes to really come to grips with all it can do..... but one thing at a time, I figure.... just keep learning....
  • lendemain
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • lendemain
  • Posts: 5

Post 3+ Months Ago

jameson5555 wrote:
celandine wrote:
how does one even integrate e-commerce into a site? do you need to know PHP?

If you were writing the cart code from scratch, I think you would need to know PHP. I'm looking for a package solution where I don't have to do that, though (only so much time in a day :wink: )

When I used Mal's e-commerce, they just gave you the code to put in your forms, so all you need to know is how to create an HTML form and paste their info in there. Then the user clicks the button to buy an item on your site and it takes you to the shopping cart page.

Just wondering if anyone's tried out anything better or if I should stick with Mal's. Seems like all of my clients want e-commerce these days and it's stressing me out.. lol


I've done my own research, and so far it seems: it you wanna keep the site, you do have to take HTML and insert onto your pages. And then the customer goes from site to the shopping cart.

I figured out, there are 2 kinds of HTML to insert: a simple link 'OnlineShop' and actual code for buy-now buttons. A link is something you can prepare yourself (it's like simple URL tag). But if you use buttons, code for them should be produced by the cart itself. So, the question is - which cart can generate such buttons. I found qualiteam carts so far, and now you say - Mal's solution does it too.

If you know other stores which generate buttons, please post them to this thread.

And yeah, if there were some advanced solution (when customers don't get bounced between website and store) - that would be great. But I'm not technical enough to even imagine how such system can be build with existing website. Have you dound anything like that?
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 575
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

lendemain wrote:
I've done my own research, and so far it seems: it you wanna keep the site, you do have to take HTML and insert onto your pages. And then the customer goes from site to the shopping cart.

I figured out, there are 2 kinds of HTML to insert: a simple link 'OnlineShop' and actual code for buy-now buttons. A link is something you can prepare yourself (it's like simple URL tag). But if you use buttons, code for them should be produced by the cart itself. So, the question is - which cart can generate such buttons. I found qualiteam carts so far, and now you say - Mal's solution does it too.

If you know other stores which generate buttons, please post them to this thread.

And yeah, if there were some advanced solution (when customers don't get bounced between website and store) - that would be great. But I'm not technical enough to even imagine how such system can be build with existing website. Have you dound anything like that?

That's exactly what I'm looking for, too.. I think maybe the closest you can get is by using something like we're talking about and then customizing the shopping cart page so it looks as close as possible to the rest of your website. Just not sure if anything is quite that customizable. I suppose I'll try setting up an account with Mal's and customizing it and see how far I get. I mainly just wanted to see if anyone had found some perfect solution first.. :wink:
  • ace5p1d0r
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 630
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have always used CubeCart for my clients eCommerce solutions. Has always worked great for me. If you choose it let me know if you need any help.
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 575
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

ace5p1d0r wrote:
I have always used CubeCart for my clients eCommerce solutions. Has always worked great for me. If you choose it let me know if you need any help.

It looks like CubeCart is more of a self-contained store, isn't it? Of course, I'm kind of a n00b at this e-commerce stuff, so I could be wrong... Does it have a way to integrate the store functionality into an existing website?
  • lendemain
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • lendemain
  • Posts: 5

Post 3+ Months Ago

jameson5555 wrote:

That's exactly what I'm looking for, too.. I think maybe the closest you can get is by using something like we're talking about and then customizing the shopping cart page so it looks as close as possible to the rest of your website. Just not sure if anything is quite that customizable. I suppose I'll try setting up an account with Mal's and customizing it and see how far I get. I mainly just wanted to see if anyone had found some perfect solution first.. :wink:


seems, the same problem is in our heads, huh? :)

About customizable look-n-feel - remember how i mentioned qualiteam solutions. their LiteCommerce store is advertaized as highly flexible and easy to change. They claim dreamweaver and frontpage compatibility of templates. And when you check their featured store - it's like wow, they mostly look different from each other.

If design was my only concern, I would go with it. But we also need different images for our color-size products. And this cart doesn't change image when custom picks his color. The other solution does the image change trick, but don't fit into dreamweaver. Dilemma, huh. Luckily, we don't hurry with this store thing, so I have time to look for other carts and think over.

Hopefully, ace5p1d0r can tell us here about CubeCart integratibility (have I just invented my own word? :lol: ) Meanwhile, I will do researches on ZenCart and may be, Avactis.

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
cron
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.