Best way to organize a site with a ton of articles

• succeedsocially
  • Born
  • Born
  • succeedsocially

Post 3+ Months Ago

My site has about 75 articles on it, all about a pretty focused topic.

Recently I've heard that some new readers are getting overwhelmed by the amount of content I have up. They seem to think the information is good, but there's so much of it they feel they don't know where to start, or that they had no idea the topic could be as detailed.

At the moment the articles are all listed on one main index page, categorized by topic.

Any ideas about how to best organize the site are welcome.

The index page in question is: http://www.succeedsocially.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the long titles full of big words are overwhelming at first, especially the long titles.

Focus on bringing the word count of your article titles down, and after that using smaller words if possible.
It's social studies, not rocket science.

A list of the categories at the top would be helpfull, limiting the titles in these links to two words would be great.

Adding a small 16x16 to 32x32 pixel top-specific icon to the left of each article link might help to make the index a little less overwhelming also.
  • ryan_82_bentley
  • Born
  • Born
  • ryan_82_bentley

Post 3+ Months Ago

instead of having every link on one page, you could make individual pages for each category so you don't have to scroll so long and have to search through all the text for a particular category.
  • MidGe48
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Have you thought of using a tag cloud?

For those who may not know what it is, it is a box which contain all the words in a vocabulary you define. The words are usually, but not necessarily listed in alphabetical sequence but they have a distinctive characteristic of being in different font size dependent on another property. Usually the largest font size, the most articles or links related to that specific word. It could be other property beside number of links too. Clicking on a word in the tag cloud brings a list of all the appropriate links. It is quite a versatile tool in the arsenal of a web site builder.

It may not work since your content is a very narrow subject, but I would try to re-read the article and try to build a taxonomy or vocabulary. You will soon enough see if it makes sense. If it does, I would go for a tag cloud. Some CMS have that facility build in or as an add-on. You seem to be using a CMS, it may ahve that facility.

If you want to see an example of a tag cloud, see the site in my signature below. I did have a play with it.
  • vividwebgraphics
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • vividwebgraphics
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let your navigation be on the Left hand side instead of Right side..

People feel comfortable if navigation is on LEft menu

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts